Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Not to be a jerk here (honestly!), but they awarded the Olympics to a couple of countries not that long ago with abysmal human rights records. I think the approach is to make an attempt to draw a nation toward our standard, rather than force them.

2. Collapse Details

I might be harder to 'buy' women because for women, the living conditions/restrictions make for a not very pleasant world compared to what they are used to. And would they have to compete in covered garb and as a result never be competitive?

3. Collapse Details

Iran has now agreed to allow women to attend a World Cup soccer match.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...otball-tickets

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Qatar is one of the more "westernized" nations in the region. You would never be allowed to have a competition like this in some, as the ladies' attire would be unacceptable.
    Their attire is unacceptable in Qatar outside the stadium. The Qataris are only suspending those rules during this narrow window of space and time for the championships.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I might be harder to 'buy' women because for women, the living conditions/restrictions make for a not very pleasant world compared to what they are used to. And would they have to compete in covered garb and as a result never be competitive?
    it seems from bahrain's experience that it's not an issue -- especially young kids from poor countries. i don't know what the qatari women athletes wear -- if totally veiled like the iranians or not. my impression is that the sheikhs in doha just don't care for women's sports.

i know at one point maryam jamal had to wear longer shorts after some in bahrain complained ...

i follow volleyball and recently saw some clips of the national women's team of egypt and indonesia. about half in each case were veiled... quite shocking in that it'd not be the case just a few years ago.

however restricted iranian women are, they are lucky, i guess, compared to saudi women...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Their attire is unacceptable in Qatar outside the stadium. The Qataris are only suspending those rules during this narrow window of space and time for the championships.
    Agreed. But my earlier point about getting our hackles up here, when other, far more troubling nations have hosted Olympic games is still valid. Revolutions must arise from those within the populace. We have seldom, if ever, been successful in forcing western norms onto other nations. Such an effort will fail unless those who are oppressed fight for it themselves.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Not to be a jerk here (honestly!), but they awarded the Olympics to a couple of countries not that long ago with abysmal human rights records. I think the approach is to make an attempt to draw a nation toward our standard, rather than force them.
    You mean Japan and the US? >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    You mean Japan and the US? >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Ouch!!!!

Well played........

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by uakari View Post
    that shows you how much they value women’s sports.
    Actually I'd say that's how much women in Qatar value sports

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    This is not true, because I work with women who have visited Qatar on vacation and they sure as hell didn't cover up. Where did you get this "information"?