Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Women spectators at Doha?
    A friend of mine asked me if I knew if women from Qatar were allowed to come and watch the meet, or if there is some law that prevents them from watching sporting events. Does anyone happen to know? Many thanks.

2. Collapse Details

Comparative to its neighbours, women’s rights in Qatar are more advanced. Nothing that prevents attendance

3. Collapse Details

it'd be nice if they had some female athletes, considering all the male ones they keep buying...

4. Collapse Details

I have noticed a few covered women working call room but the few on field women officials are not. Also noted most officials are markedly younger than typical officials at major US meets.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by uakari View Post
    it'd be nice if they had some female athletes, considering all the male ones they keep buying...
    They have two in the meet. One ran in the w400 heats on Monday, in 66.76.

The other is on the start list for the w400H on Tuesday, with a personal best of 70.33.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    They have two in the meet. One ran in the w400 heats on Monday, in 66.76.

The other is on the start list for the w400H on Tuesday, with a personal best of 70.33.
    that shows you how much they value women’s sports.

7. Collapse Details

Qatar is one of the more "westernized" nations in the region. You would never be allowed to have a competition like this in some, as the ladies' attire would be unacceptable. From what I have seen during the broadcast (okay a limited data base), the locals have been respectful of their guests.

8. Collapse Details

that is not my point. obviously the leadership of the country has no problems with how international athletes dress when competing, otherwise they wouldn't host this.

my point is, where are their female athletes? since their budget to buy foreign athletes is enormous, why do they only spend on male athletes? at least bahrain has women athletes.

9. Collapse Details

We can certainly agree that neither of us support their approach to women, culturally. But I am not sure we would be right to demand that they alter their culture to match ours. You can offer incentives to adopt a more western approach, but what do you offer a country that is literally floating on natural gas deposits?

10. Collapse Details

how about not award them the WCh in the first place?