Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Track may not be that popular anymore . . .
    . . . but apparently tracksuits are. On the other hand, I have to discount the words of anyone who would bloviate the following with a straight face:

Joanne Turney, a professor of fashion at the University of Southampton’s Winchester School of Art, has tracked the American embrace of the tracksuit to James F. Fixx’s “The Complete Book of Running” from 1977, which became a best-seller. Fixx evangelized running as life extension, Turney explains in her book "Fashion Crimes.” This put the runner, in his tracksuit, in a “God-like role,” both “man and superman, ego and super-ego, performing a Foucaultian battle that will ultimately result in the mastery of the mind over the weakness of the flesh.”
    Last edited by bad hammy; 09-20-2019 at 04:50 PM.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    . . . but apparently tracksuits are. On the other hand, I have to discount the words of anyone who would bloviate the following with a straight face:

Joanne Turney, a professor of fashion at the University of Southampton’s Winchester School of Art, has tracked the American embrace of the tracksuit to James F. Fixx’s “The Complete Book of Running” from 1977, which became a best-seller. Fixx evangelized running as life extension, Turney explains in her book "Fashion Crimes.” This put the runner, in his tracksuit, in a “God-like role,” both “man and superman, ego and super-ego, performing a Foucaultian battle that will ultimately result in the mastery of the mind over the weakness of the flesh.”
    Really resonates with me, I remember Jim Fixx. I can recall the old saying in the late 1970s "fashion is a slave to Jim Fixx". So true. He was always jet setting with all the titan movers of art, fashion and perception and when he spoke, scales fell from the eyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

A quick search will show up hundreds of photos of Jim Fixx synergizing with fashion moguls like Pierre Cardin and Karl Lagerfeld.

"He is a God-like figure, towering over ego and superego, his mind soars over the worlds joining human feeling and emotion to cosmic fashion sense. -Karl Lagerfeld.

These are excerpts from my upcoming book: Jim Fixx and the rise of modern fashion from the ashes of 20th century realism.
    Last edited by user4; 09-20-2019 at 05:15 PM.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Yes...I read the New Yorker article....fairly idiotic....Fred Lebow 40 years ago was trying to make a push that running to work in New York in your track suit and work all day in it would be a thing .....needless to say that didn't go far....

4. Collapse Details

. . . Turney explains in her book "Fashion Crimes.” This put the runner, in his tracksuit, in a “God-like role,” both “man and superman, ego and super-ego, performing a Foucaultian battle that will ultimately result in the mastery of the mind over the weakness of the flesh.”[/INDENT]
    You are right ... I could live several lifetimes, and not begin to dream of writing a sentence like that.

5. Collapse Details

I work every day with persons who produce this sort of writing -- and thus I read this sort of writing pretty much every day (or at least briefly encounter it and generally navigate around it). And among all of that writing, this example really stands out as, let's say, exemplary. Thanks for posting this!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    this example really stands out as, let's say, exemplary. Thanks for posting this!
    Absolutely. Ironically, it was philosophers like Foucault and Derrida who created the demand for this pseudo-intellectual logorrhea (great word for philosophers in general). And don't get me wrong, I have studied and taught Philosophy - nothing wrong with it - it just tends to bring these kinds of writers out of the academic wood-work!

7. Collapse Details

"... logorrhea". I love it!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Perhaps the pendulum will swing the other way on people like Foucault

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Perhaps the pendulum will swing the other way on people like Foucault
    He certainly had a massive intellect and continues to be extremely influential in academic circles, but I have always thought that his ideas were very dated in the current intellectual climate and will be passé as we move on to the 'next thing' (as opposed to people like Descartes or Kant, who will continue to be relevant to us).

10. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    You are right ... I could live several lifetimes, and not begin to dream of writing a sentence like that.
    It really isnt that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Really resonates with me, I remember Jim Fixx. I can recall the old saying in the late 1970s "fashion is a slave to Jim Fixx". So true. He was always jet setting with all the titan movers of art, fashion and perception and when he spoke, scales fell from the eyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

A quick search will show up hundreds of photos of Jim Fixx synergizing with fashion moguls like Pierre Cardin and Karl Lagerfeld.

"He is a God-like figure, towering over ego and superego, his mind soars over the worlds joining human feeling and emotion to cosmic fashion sense. -Karl Lagerfeld.

These are excerpts from my upcoming book: Jim Fixx and the rise of modern fashion from the ashes of 20th century realism.