Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Perhaps because it was not a playoff game, my earliest NFL shocking play memory (3 weeks before the Ice Bowl) was not included.

http://www.packershistory.net/1967PACKERS/GAME13.html
    hey, that one has a track connection too! Bernie Casey was 4th in the NCAA 110H in '60 for Bowling Green

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    whether you agree or not, this is a fabulous production, with video footage of each of the plays and a few minutes of interview with dramatis personae

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/10.../browse-videos
    Not one catch by the greatest WR ever, sorry the list needs to be 101 plays long. Yes, we thank you Don Hutson .

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    hey, that one has a track connection too! Bernie Casey was 4th in the NCAA 110H in '60 for Bowling Green
    So strange how the mind works. One would think that Bernie Casey (famous actor and one-time Pro Bowl selection) would be the name to remember from that game; but since the age of 9 the name of the guy who blocked the punt (substitute linebacker Tony Guillory) has always stuck in my mind.

4. Collapse Details

Hard to argue with the number one play but as a longtime (1969 - 2012) 49er fan I was a bit surprised by The Catch at number two. While it was a huge play in terms of its importance to the 49er dynasty (leading to the first of four SB championships) as a football play it was just a good football play, one similar in content if not importance to many I've seen over the years. It was not a shocking surprise like the Immaculate Reception, it was just a well executed play with a touch of short-field ad-lib.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    Hard to argue with the number one play but as a longtime (1969 - 2012) 49er fan I was a bit surprised by The Catch at number two. While it was a huge play in terms of its importance to the 49er dynasty (leading to the first of four SB championships) as a football play it was just a good football play, one similar in content if not importance to many I've seen over the years. It was not a shocking surprise like the Immaculate Reception, it was just a well executed play with a touch of short-field ad-lib.
    Interesting. I think Joe Cool's cool, and Dwight's dramatic leap and catching that ball at its peak help. Add in the playoff atmosphere, "America's Team" and a at-the-time one-sided rivalry...I can live with its place at #2.

Like almost all games in the early 80's, my memory is always of looking up. I was a kid and was always on the floor getting as close to the TV as possible.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    For a play to be on the list it must not only be fantastic by every measure, it must first and foremost be a play that determines the winner of one of the most critical games of the season. If there is little at stake there is no play worth listing.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Perhaps because it was not a playoff game, my earliest NFL shocking play memory (3 weeks before the Ice Bowl) was not included.

http://www.packershistory.net/1967PACKERS/GAME13.html
    Can we get word to the writer of the article that some pedant on a track and field message board 52 years down the road was going to point out that the Linebacker who intercepted the pass of Bart Starr was Maxie Baughan not Vaughan?
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 10-16-2019 at 02:54 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Can we get word to the writer of the article that some pedant on a track and field message board 52 years down the road was going to point out that the Linebacker who intercepted the pass of Bart Starr was Maxie Baughan and Vaughan?
    Baughan, not Vaughan.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Baughan, not Vaughan.
    See that. Even the board's editors are better in 2019 than they were back in the 60's.

10. Collapse Details

I have not looked over this entire list. I can only assume that Willie Brown, who just passed, is running straight at me after his pick 6 which is possibly THE pick 6 in NFL history.

A scene forever singed into my memory.