Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Monsieur Mayer just lost his spot of Lord Coe's Christmas card list. No IAAF awards for you little minion!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Monsieur Mayer just lost his spot of Lord Coe's Christmas card list.
    He might be happy. If it's an IAAF Christmas card you probably have to register with a user-ID & password to open it.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    He might be happy. If it's an IAAF Christmas card you probably have to register with a user-ID & password to open it.
    Post of the championships!

4. Collapse Details

Coe's and the wider IAAF's job around this champs is pretty much a task of survival. I'd like to think the organisations ethics have improved to mean that this will be the last time we'd see this happen. Damage control continues rather than the growth hoped after London.

Last night saw great performances inside the stadium and hopefully they'll continue to take away from the challenging conditions and lack of spectators...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Coe's and the wider IAAF's job around this champs is pretty much a task of survival. I'd like to think the organisations ethics have improved to mean that this will be the last time we'd see this happen. Damage control continues rather than the growth hoped after London.

Last night saw great performances inside the stadium and hopefully they'll continue to take away from the challenging conditions and lack of spectators...
    The performances have been wonderful for the most part. The organization has been pretty poor. For instance, yesterday the gates were supposed to open two hours before the meet started. The security gates opened 45 minutes late, while hundreds stood outside in the heat. Pens were confiscated and some had to take their cameras back to there cars (fortunately, cell phones don't count as cameras). Immediately headed to check out the Fan Zone; hardly any booths were manned. Went inside to get some water (you can't bring in your own--understandable--and you can't drink the local water) and they were out of water at the first place I checked. Out of water! Imagine that, in the desert. I will give them some credit for selling water at the reasonable price of around $1 for half a liter and the sound and light show prior to the men's 100 was awesome.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 09-29-2019 at 11:53 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404 View Post
    The performances have been wonderful for the most part. The organization has been pretty poor. For instance, yesterday the gates were supposed to open two hours before the meet started. The security gates opened 45 minutes late, while hundreds stood outside in the heat. Pens were confiscated and some had to take their cameras back to there cars (fortunately, cell phones don't count as cameras). Immediately headed to check out the Fan Zone; hardly any booths were manned. Went inside to get some water (you can't bring in your own--understandable--and you can't drink the local water) and they were out of water at the first place I checked. Out of water! Imagine that, in the desert. I will give them some credit for selling water at the reasonable price of around $1 for half a liter and the sound and light show prior to the men's 100 was awesome.
    Frustrating Bruce as those are the simple things to get right after years of planning.

Have any of the 100m men last night comment on the pre race show? I wonder what briefing they got beforehand?

7. Collapse Details

Frustrating Bruce as those are the simple things to get right after years of planning.

Have any of the 100m men last night comment on the pre race show? I wonder what briefing they got beforehand?
    I remember Daegu being a bit of a mess the first day, but they pulled it together and things functioned well after day one. Doha has had two days and still seem to be somewhat dysfunctional. Perhaps the volunteers weren't coached very well? Then there's the slave labor serving as security, with a few supervisors watching them and doing mostly nothing. The rules regarding what can be brought in are also not being enforced equally. I couldn't bring in a pen in my pocket, but no problem in my bag! Friday there were metal detectors; yesterday I was simply frisked (not a bad thing since they at least opened up more lanes having apparently not ordered enough metal detectors; still, how about a little profiling regarding the frisk process? Old track fans are hardly threats).

I haven't read any comments re the 100 show, but who wouldn't want to step into a spotlight and have their names emblazoned across roughly 60 meters of the track?

8. Collapse Details

I was assured by someone who would know that they were told about it beforehand. How much detail? I don't know.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404 View Post
    I remember Daegu being a bit of a mess the first day, but they pulled it together and things functioned well after day one. Doha has had two days and still seem to be somewhat dysfunctional. Perhaps the volunteers weren't coached very well? Then there's the slave labor serving as security, with a few supervisors watching them and doing mostly nothing.
    The first WC in Helsinki was a marvel...track at it's best...this meet seems the exact opposite...I don't think 2021 can come fast enough..

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    his quote is pretty much the perfect way to sum this mess up