Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Is there even going to be a sport let alone a meet in 2025...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    It looked like the crowds were much better tonight, yes? With the three distance finals on tap, one would think so.
    Crowds were better and the atmosphere in the stadium was much better than in the previous evenings. As one friend of mine commented as we were leaving the stadium, "It finally feels like a World Championships". The crowds helped, and so did the excellent competition.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    IAAF really wants the meet to go to Africa... agree that Kenya should be suspended as a Federation.
    Rabat springs to mind as a possibility?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cladthin View Post
    Unlike the NBC telecast, on the IAAF audio feed I'm not hearing any echo.
    I'm watching the IAAF video feed and have thought I'd heard a number of false starts including - as someone mentioned above - in at least one of the 800m races.

Since I think the Haitian in last night's 110H was the only actual false start of the champs so far, the athletes in the stadium don't seem to be having many problems with it.

One thing that has stood out for me has been the number of sprinters who have DNS'd after twinges warming up. I would have thought that conditions in Doha would have made this less likely than at champs in cooler climes, but there seem to have been quite a lot.

5. Collapse Details

Maybe dehydration is a factor in these injuries?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Crowds were better and the atmosphere in the stadium was much better than in the previous evenings. As one friend of mine commented as we were leaving the stadium, "It finally feels like a World Championships". The crowds helped, and so did the excellent competition.
    Because the shipped people in. There were people sitting alone in the stadium, 15 minutes later they were surrounded by 100s of "fans" all in identical clothes.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Because the shipped people in. There were people sitting alone in the stadium, 15 minutes later they were surrounded by 100s of "fans" all in identical clothes.
    Call me naive, but this is what I thought would be happening from Day 1 to avoid the "Doha is shittest event ever" that anybody with a brain could see was going to happen naturally.

All they had to do was make a one week holiday for enough temporary residents, hand them a ticket, a modest bit of cash and a voucher for free food, and tell them, "turn up and cheer all night, or you'll be on the first flight home."

Then, Juan Antonio, errr, Lord Coe, could say, "Best WC, eeevverrrr!"

It'd be cheaper than the bribe, err, investment, they paid to get it in the first place and it would have got them what they were after -- kudos. WTF happened?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    All they had to do was make a one week holiday for enough temporary residents, hand them a ticket, a modest bit of cash and a voucher for free food, and tell them, "turn up and cheer all night, or you'll be on the first flight home."
    I wouldn't swear it on an IAAF rulebook but I'm sure one of the Ethiopian supporters in the IAAF feed/Tamsyn Lewis interview last night said he was an 'overseas worker who had volunteered' (or similar verbiage - sorry it was about 4am my time so a bit groggy).

9. Collapse Details

I was agreeing with the author until he wrote, "the next IAAF world championships will take place in Eugene, Oregon, notable in terms of world athletics only for being the town where Nike was founded and has its world headquarters."

Does he not realize that Eugene hosts a DL meet? Does he not realize that Eugene is America's track Mecca? I guess his point was about the lack of transparency; but if he was trying to imply that Eugene will be similar to Doha, he's way off the mark.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

10. Collapse Details

Gabby Logan WENT IN on Jon Ridgeon as CEO of the IAAF/WA last night on the BBC coverage and asked all the hard questions. If you can access the BBC iPlayer, take a look.

He did the best to answer but there aren't many responses that can really satisfy anyone and I think they just have to survive this championships and wait to see the success of the athletics programme in Tokyo (not their gig I know but will be involved) and then Eugene which you can image will go back to the levels of London and Berlin.

I love athletics and want to see it grow and succeed but it's got some way to sort through all the controversial legacy to then look forward and engage with younger audiences which Ridgeon stated was their desire.