Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I am surprised that some of the sprinters have not reacted to the echo of the gun and mistaken it for a false start.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I am surprised that some of the sprinters have not reacted to the echo of the gun and mistaken it for a false start.
    I was wondering what I was hearing on the television feed. It seemed like it really could be potentially confusing.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    I was wondering what I was hearing on the television feed. It seemed like it really could be potentially confusing.
    I was hearing it on NBCSN, only on the 200m, about 2-1/2 seconds into the race. I couldn't hear it at all on CBC (Canadian TV). But after further study, I don't think we were hearing an echo per se. I think that they had a microphone near the start that was potted way down, and a microphone farther away, probably near the finish line, that was amplified more. So we were simply hearing the one start sound, both weak and close in time to the runners starting, and again delayed, due to the multiple microphones. I also noticed that even the first, weaker start sound was after the runners left the blocks, so I think there were also some out-of-sync issues with the audio & video, which can easily happen with modern digital telecasting setups. This made the spacing between the 2 sounds more than the microphone spacing alone would account for, since the speed of sound is 1,100 feet/sec.

I don't think that the runners were hearing multiple starting sounds.
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 09-30-2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: New ideas

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404 View Post
    I couldn't bring in a pen in my pocket, but no problem in my bag!
    Is this part of a prohibition of sharp objects? I've never heard of a rule like that.

5. Collapse Details

Yes, hearing it on TV in about every heat had me wondering why that echo just was not affecting anyone.

6. Collapse Details

I remember an 800m running pausing after the gun echo sound in the first rounds (Brazier?) and when everyone else kept going, he did too.

7. Collapse Details

Sitting in the stadium, I haven't been aware of an echo. I'll listen for it more carefully today.

8. Collapse Details

On the BBC, during the 200 heats the 'second gun sound' was clearly audible for all but the last couple of heats. In fact, during the first heat there was some speculation that it was a recall and the heat may have to be re-run.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I hear second gun on all starts, far as I can remember

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    a release from the LOC

<<Championship Update on behalf of the Local Organising Committee (LOC). An LOC spokesperson said:

“After two solid days of attendance, (70% on Day 1 and 67% on Day 2), numbers were down on our expectations on Day 3, under 50%, which coincided with the start of the working week in Qatar. We are confident that our renewed efforts will encourage the local community to come and witness the stunning performance of the world’s best athletes.

The challenge we face with a competition schedule that is geared to support global TV viewership, is that some finals are not starting until the late evening. This impacts on the number of spectators remaining until the end of the session. We know it is a balance and we are pleased global viewers can tune in to watch the live action from Doha. We are confident with our additional communications, we will see more attendees for longer periods.

“The pattern of the attendance so far follows the interests of the local community, with middle and long distance races pulling in the biggest crowds, rather than traditional sprint events, and we would like to thank all the fans that have supported these athletes.

“Our vision was for a first world championship in the Middle East. An IAAF World Athletics Championship that would welcome the world and connect to new fans. Despite facing unique challenges as hosts, in terms of the political blockade, that ambition remains. To date we have witnessed over 80 different nationalities in the stadium, the vast majority enjoying athletics for the first time. The athletes competing at Khalifa International Stadium and fans attending have all relished the experience. The controlled temperature conditions on the track have been ideal and fitting for world-class performances and will remain so. Whether it is understanding athlete performances in endurance events or stadium design, this championship is benefitting world sport and important progress is being made.” >>