Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

1964/68 Olympics were even later, Oct. 14-21 for athletics in Tokyo, and Mexico City 10/13-20
    The '91 worlds in Tokyo were 8/23-9-1, but 2020 Olympics in Tokyo are 7/31-8/9 for athletics, in stark contrast to '91 and especially '64. There was an article recently by a Japanese doctor (perhaps like our Surgeon General?) warning of the danger of heat stroke for athletes and fans.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

2. Collapse Details

Olympic Games are different, they are THE sports highlight of the year, comparable to the Superbowl. Athletics world championships are just another sports event like 100s every year. 64/68, can you even compare to nowadays? Did they have anything like the overcrowded athletics calendar of today back then?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Also, September XC is very much an American phenomenon. The international XC season is December-March.
    Here in the UK, the first inter-club leagues generally start in mid October. It is rare to see an international senior race cross-country before about mid November. Although many of them may do club road relays before then.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    USATF in June continues to be an incredibly bad idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But what would be the right time to have the US nationals? Having them later would mean the top stars have to miss a significant part of the European DL season and the earning opportunities that come with it. I don't think they would take it well.
    end of July, when so many major European nations frequently do it.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Aren't we just a tiny bit Americancentric? ......
    the original note clarified from the get-go what the thrust was: <<We need to set some ground-rules, at least for the USA athletes:>>

6. Collapse Details

Listen up folks! It is never "the right time" for Athletics World Championships. According to some people.
    Over the years I have witnessed TV broadcasters giving advantage to Soccer Champions League, UEFA Cup qualifications, third league matches etc. when those matches were happening at the same time. Happened during couple of days in 2003 during fabulous Paris Worlds, when Serbian and Croatian state broadcasters showed soccer live, but athletics delayed after midnight. All that in August!

Re NFL... I'm afraid average American sports viewer doesn't even know track and field exists outside the Olympic Games.

Last time we had athletics this late was Sydney OG 2000. So I'm looking forward to see how this next late September edition turns out! Maybe we won't see "fast times", empty seats are inevitable in Doha, but let's give it a try. London 2017 hasn't been remembered for great results but it was fabulous overall!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Olympic Games are different, they are THE sports highlight of the year, comparable to the Superbowl. Athletics world championships are just another sports event like 100s every year. 64/68, can you even compare to nowadays? Did they have anything like the overcrowded athletics calendar of today back then?
    I was looking at it from the point of view of the athletes' preparations. As far as athletes preparing for a global championship, I dont' see any difference between WC and Oly. As to '64 and '68, they still had to time their peaks for much later. As far as other sports go, that's completely irrelevant to me; I have my priorities straight!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. Collapse Details

the original note clarified from the get-go what the thrust was: <<We need to set some ground-rules, at least for the USA athletes:>>
    You can't have world championships every year just for American athletes.

9. Collapse Details

Yeah, but then ihe goes on to set the timing of the DL and WC.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    he's merely pointing out what would be best for the U.S. athletes. This is a U.S.-centric board after all