Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    As far as athletes preparing for a global championship, I dont' see any difference between WC and Oly.
    I don't know about American athletes, but many Germans change their life just for Olympics, not world championships. Many students take a semester off to be able to prepare properly, never heard of a German athlete doing that for WCs.

2. Collapse Details

Well, one can point out what's best for U.S. athletes, but Europe keeps this sport alive and Europe would have the last say.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakilo View Post
    Well, one can point out what's best for U.S. athletes, but Europe keeps this sport alive and Europe would have the last say.
    Perhaps at the professional level....which isn't that hot these days....but at the secondary and college level in the U.S. it's doing as well as ever if not better....if the European track circuit disappeared that would be probably the end in Europe....but it most likely would stay as a viable sport here...and primarily amateur....sort of like it was 50 years ago...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-22-2019 at 10:50 PM.

4. Collapse Details

I like the WC, OLY, WC, off year schedule the way it is; it gives athletes a "breather" when they can try another event or just have a down year, and also is a great time to have the Euros, African champs, U20s, Commonwealth Games. I think it's been a mistake to have the Euros in Olympic years and Pan Ams this year. Put all the Area stuff in the off year for globals.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    I like the WC, OLY, WC, off year schedule the way it is; it gives athletes a "breather" when they can try another event or just have a down year, and also is a great time to have the Euros, African champs, U20s, Commonwealth Games.
    We need the WCs in each non-OG year to keep the sport relevant and in the mainstream media (as much as is possible). Athletes can still take time off or try other events whenever they want. Area events can be scheduled prior to the WCs; some elites will skip them and that gives other athletes the experience in 'big' events, which is necessary for their development.

6. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    And here in the U.S. good luck competing against the NFL, College Football and MLB Playoffs.
    Not to mention the world road cycling championships, which started today in Yorkshire, England. Olympic Channel is devoting several hours a day of coverage thru next Sunday.
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    end of July, when so many major European nations frequently do it.
    High time the IAAF created a dedicated 3 week window in the calendar with no diamond league meetings so that each nation could stage their own national championships, I suspect they would like to but there’s a high likelihood that each of the federations would say - no, we’d rather have the final say over when we hold our national championships

If the IAAF were to hire a glitzy marketing firm to advise how best to grow the sport they would likely say stage another world championships in the current off season. Much as I wouldn’t like to see it myself

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by treadwater1 View Post
    High time the IAAF created a dedicated 3 week window in the calendar with no diamond league meetings so that each nation could stage their own national championships, I suspect they would like to but there’s a high likelihood that each of the federations would say - no, we’d rather have the final say over when we hold our national championships
    Now that I looked at the schedule, I realized there actually was a window between 21 July and 18 August. Yet for some reason the major non-European countries didn't use it to stage their NCs.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Now that I looked at the schedule, I realized there actually was a window between 21 July and 18 August. Yet for some reason the major non-European countries didn't use it to stage their NCs.
    And neither did Poland yours was 23-25 August.

Ukraine was 21-23 August, GBR 24-25 August too. BLR and Spain were a week later still.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by andyjgt View Post
    And neither did Poland yours was 23-25 August.

Ukraine was 21-23 August, GBR 24-25 August too. BLR and Spain were a week later still.
    Yeah, but European countries had the ETC, which, at least to our federation, was one of the priorities this season. And the European athletes don't need this window as much anyway, since it's not really a problem competing in another meet on the continent and the NC within a couple of days (Marcin Lewandowski actually did a DL race and the NC on consecutive days).
    Last edited by Powell; 09-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...