Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: WC records

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    When the USA ran 2:54.29 at Stuttgart, they had men with PRs of 44.28 (Valmon), 43.50 (Watts), 43.29 (Reynolds) and 43.65 (Johnson). Funny that MJ was only the third-fastest man on that quartet!

They won by a country mile. The only one who ran markedly better than his open PR was MJ with a 42.94 anchor.

Soooooo.... you now have Kerley (43.64), Norman (43.45), Benjamin (44.31), Strother (44.29) anddddddddddd... they're at 2:55.7 with all =PRs in a single race. Where is that 1.4 going to come from?

I guess if Strother leads off with a 44.29, Kerley goes 43.0, Norman 43.0 and Benjamin 43.9, all by themselves, it could happen.

Not gonna put any money on that myself.
    Norman has split 43.0, while Kerley and Benjamin have both split 43.5. Someone from the pool of Strother, Norwood, London, Montgomery etc. can run 44 low.

Its definitely a stretch as they would all need to be on for the race and its a tough WR, but its really not outside the realm of possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened (But I would still go crazy watching it!).

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Since she ran 52.75 last year as an 18yo, how is not a natural progression to improve half a second at 19yo? She improved over a second from 17 to 18. And she's a professional now.
    52.42 is on a whole 'nother level. And this is the hurdles, where there are 10 opportunities to make consequential mistakes. In any single meet, PRs in the all-time top 10 are never likely in the hurdles. Possible, but not likely.

She would have had to run sub-52.42 twice this season before I would put her in the "likely" category to break 52.42 in Doha. Whereas both Warholm and Benjamin have each broken 47.18 twice, so they can afford to be a bit worse than their best and still beat that mark, unlike Syd who would need to cut her PR by more than 0.3 and SB by more than 0.4.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 09-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.

3. Collapse Details

I am not sure why 'everyone' seems to think that DM is peaked for the season and won't be in the 52s. She has a lot of Championship experience and she certainly was counting on being in the Final here. I think that everyone else is running for the Bronze, although hiccups on the hurdles can cost big time.

4. Collapse Details

DM's WR was a PR by more than 0.4, and SB by more than a second. It wasn't just a peak, it was a Mount Everest peak. Major peaks like that at the elite level are usually followed by significant declines if the athlete continues to compete during the same season, and she demonstrated that decline by failing to break 54 in Zurich.

If she ran that world record in early June, there might have been enough time to build up back to another peak and get below 53 again, but she doesn't have that amount of time available.

5. Collapse Details

I think the chances that Superman flies into the stadium during the Champs are higher than the chances of a 4x400m M world record.

6. Collapse Details

I am predicting a record for the mix 4x4

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    I think the chances that Superman flies into the stadium during the Champs are higher than the chances of a 4x400m M world record.
    Haven't you heard that a guy named Clark Kent has been issued a press credental? :-)

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
    What do you expect Superman to do, just walk through the turnstile??

9. Collapse Details

I would love to see Superman do the decathlon.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I would love to see Superman do the decathlon.
    Can one extrapolate off the top of the tables?
    If so, his score would be
    infinity-symbol-science-photo-library.jpg