Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    see story now linked on home page

doesn't seem to be bothering them all that much
    For a couple of reasons, but the main argument is that they get to decide on all the events on their own and thus can get all the top Swedes. Also, they just wrote a new 5 year sponsorship deal so that was already taken care off.

The main selling point in Sweden is homegrown talent, not much press is given to international stars beyond the Bolt level. I'm not joking when I say that Kalle Berglund will sell more tickets than Timothy Cheruiyot, the level of competition is not as important. Most important is that Mondo Duplantis and Daniel StÄhl are there.

However, from my POV it will make it harder for some Swedes to get out on the big circuit now to earn the much needed ranking points, a home competition helps a lot with that these days. So I think this is a negative in the bigger picture.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Zagreb? Madrid? Helsinki? Goteborg? Vienna? Budapest? Warsaw? Minsk? Kiev? Moscow?!
    Warsaw doesn't even have a proper T&F stadium. Perhaps you mean Chorzów?
    No chance of a DL in Russia while the country is banned. Ukraine doesn't have any serious international meets and I'm pretty sure there's no chance of finding adequate financial support for a DL there.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

There haven't been any meets of this type in Helsinki since the World Games/Helsinki Grand Prix went under. If it didn't work then, it wouldn't work now either.

The only Finnish meet that could come into question is the Paavo Nurmi Games in Turku, which at least pulls good crowds and is known to have DL aspirations; but I doubt the IAAF would consider them big enough at this point. Probably better that way, being in the DL would almost certainly be bad for the meet.