Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    On the other hand, since Czechs also add that ovŠ to non-Czechs, such as Dafne SchippersovŠ, by the same logic we in the rest of the world might be entitled to take that off from Czech names.
    Sure, if you want to be just as nonsensical. Sometimes, they even do that with Chinese names, which is just too funny .
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I think she is the oldest living Olympic Track & Field gold medallist.
    That is correct - she is the second oldest Olympic gold medalist, after Agnes Keleti (HUN-GYM, 1952-56). See this site - https://acsweb.ucsd.edu/~ptchir/ - for information on Oldest Olympians. Paul Tchir is in our group of Olympic historians, the OlyMADMen, and his specialty is tracking oldest Olympians and he is also an Arabic scholar, so he handles tracking information on Arabic nation Olympians for us.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    Quick question. Was she a "team handball" player or of the one wall four wall individual variety? Being Czech I assume the former but you never know.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    I believe the latter variety is hardly known outside America, and the below link confirms that she played in a team.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/oly...topkova-1.html

    Team handball has to do with throwing, which made me to think of throwers in this quiz. Javelin in particular came to my mind because of a young Finn, Oliver Helander (born 1997) who was quite promising in both handball and javelin. He opted for javelin, and threw 88m last year, but unfortunately seems to be very injury-prone. Anyway, he will be in Doha.

    I thought about ZŠtopkovŠ, but did not know that her career was so long. Didn't know/remember about the silver in Rome. The ZŠtopeks were very popular in Finland, too, as their greatest feat took place here.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    Quick question. Was she a "team handball" player or of the one wall four wall individual variety? Being Czech I assume the former but you never know.
    There's actually two main varieties of team handball - outdoors and indoors. Outdoors is played on a football (soccer) field, with 11-a-side, while indoors is played 7-a-side. Outdoors was held at the 1936 Olympics, but when the sport returned to the Olympic program in 1972, and since, it has been indoors. There is also now a beach handball variety but not actually sure how many to a side in that version.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,761
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    There's actually two main varieties of team handball - outdoors and indoors. Outdoors is played on a football (soccer) field, with 11-a-side, while indoors is played 7-a-side. Outdoors was held at the 1936 Olympics, but when the sport returned to the Olympic program in 1972, and since, it has been indoors. There is also now a beach handball variety but not actually sure how many to a side in that version.
    There is yet another version, Czech handball, played nowhere else in the world, even in Slovakia while Czechoslovakia existed, it was not played much. I suspect, that is the version Dana played as a youngster. While it still exists, it has been largely replaced by the international, 7 players version.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_handball
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    There is yet another version, Czech handball, played nowhere else in the world, even in Slovakia while Czechoslovakia existed, it was not played much. I suspect, that is the version Dana played as a youngster. While it still exists, it has been largely replaced by the international, 7 players version.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_handball
    Learn so much here - I had never heard of that one, Pego
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    I believe the latter variety is hardly known outside America, and the below link confirms that she played in a team.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/oly...topkova-1.html

    Team handball has to do with throwing, which made me to think of throwers in this quiz. Javelin in particular came to my mind because of a young Finn, Oliver Helander (born 1997) who was quite promising in both handball and javelin. He opted for javelin, and threw 88m last year, but unfortunately seems to be very injury-prone. Anyway, he will be in Doha.

    I thought about ZŠtopkovŠ, but did not know that her career was so long. Didn't know/remember about the silver in Rome. The ZŠtopeks were very popular in Finland, too, as their greatest feat took place here.
    Trine Solberg/Hattestad the 2000 Olympic Champion was another javelin thrower who was also a noted handball player.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •