Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Schippers Injury Update/articel
    I posted something on the Zurich thread regarding an ongoing back injury Schippers has had all season. Here is some more information for those interested, which gives a little more information on how its affected her running this season, and the pressure of always being compared to her 2015 season. These are translated from two Dutch articles.

Note Schippers fell down the stairs earlier this year, and since then has been trying to manage said injury. This now puts her atrocious starts in Brussels and Zurich into context.

She did a final Dutch press interview in Papendal a week ago, before the Dutch Team left for their training camp in Turkey.

There were exercises in which she regained some strength, she says. "But acceleration and starting is not yet possible."......

long chunk of material axed by mods: forum rules are clear about cutting and pasting large chunks of copyrighted material, whether you're translating it or not
    Last edited by gh; 09-18-2019 at 02:03 PM.

2. Collapse Details

A bit more of an update. Currently entered for the 100/200/4x1, she may drop the 100 and focus on the 200/4x1:

It is conceivable that Dafne Schippers at the World Championships in Doha will limit her participation to the 200 meters, the distance at which she defends her titles of 2015 and 2017. For the time being, the sprint star assumes a full program with a 100, 200 and 4x100 meter relay, but only during the training camp to prepare for the World Cup in Belek, Turkey, will she make a decision about it.
    Schippers also relies on her experience as a tournament runner. "Times don't say everything, it's about performing at a championship under great pressure. I can do that. I always bring out the best in myself at major tournaments. [/I]

again, unacceptable large chunk of material cut by mods
    Last edited by gh; 09-18-2019 at 02:04 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Links to the Dutch articles?

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details

Due to the extreme interpretation of copyright law, I'll summarise some of the key points in the articles:

Schippers fell down the stairs back in Februrary, which aggrevated an existing back injury.
    She has been trying to manage the back injury all season, but had to resort to Cortisone injections to relieve the pain.
    She has been unable to practice her starts this season (which explains why her starts were horrible this year)
    The injury has hampered her so much, such that they have only done 70-80% of her planed training programme this season.
    Her coach Bennema says the aim was to get her down to 22.0 in readiness for 21.+ next season. He expects her to run SBs in Doha and hopes she will get down to 22 but he remains cautious and is downplaying any expectations in the Dutch press that she will win a gold.
    Bennema says it is unrealistic to expect her (or any athlete) to maintain the times she ran over 200 in 2015 year in year out.
    In Brussels she was in pain during the entire race. So she had a final cortisone injection before leaving for Turkey (Dutch training camp)
    Bennema said he has had to weigh up restricting her competitions so they can manage her back injury vs getting in the races for speed and earning money.
    She will decide whilst at training camp whether to drop he 100 and focus on the 200 and relay.

6. Collapse Details

Dropping the 100m is a sound option having not run sub 11 yet this year and her two biggest competitors out there running 10.7s.

The only thing I would say is that running the bend could be tough on her back also given the speed and forces she can generate as a tall and powerful athlete.

A medal in the 200m feels more likely if she does make the decision on just one event.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Dropping the 100m is a sound option having not run sub 11 yet this year and her two biggest competitors out there running 10.7s.

The only thing I would say is that running the bend could be tough on her back also given the speed and forces she can generate as a tall and powerful athlete.

A medal in the 200m feels more likely if she does make the decision on just one event.
    I agree with all this ^ however, looking at her latest IG update today, it suggests she still plans to start over 100m as well (she's posted a video of her earlier World runs, and hashtagged 100, 200, 4x100...). I really can't see how she will medal here, she would need a mistake/bad run ala Thompson in 2017 from at least a couple of women to medal. Thompson, SAFP, DAS and Ta Lou at least should all finish above her. I think her competitive nature has eclipsed any objectivity around her back issue. It also makes you wonder, as her back was so painful after Brussels, will running the 100m be detrimental to her 200m form? I would have just stuck with the 200, and aim for a medal there, where I think she can take SAFP for bronze. It's only 10 months until Tokyo, you don't want to start your winter training with a bad back!
    Last edited by Wiederganger; 09-23-2019 at 10:21 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    I agree with all this ^ however, looking at her latest IG update today, it suggests she still plans to start over 100m as well (she's posted a video of her earlier World runs, and hashtagged 100, 200, 4x100...).
    My guess is that this content was prepared some time ago, perhaps a commitment to her sponsors even, or she's keeping her options open? It's great content, she looked so good in 2015.

If you've gone out to the media and suggested it, I think there's a better than 50% chance that she won't run the 100m.

I'm with you on the bad back and starting possibly her final Olympic campaign not in the best way.

9. Collapse Details

Yeah, it looks like its coach Bennema that's playing the double down and suggesting one individual, whilst Dafne is insistent on doubling

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Yeah, it looks like its coach Bennema that's playing the double down and suggesting one individual, whilst Dafne is insistent on doubling
    Or contracted to say as much by sponsors.