Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I've caught bits and pieces and of course I've learned a lot. One thing that caught my attention is pictures of Johnny Cash's first wife, who looked nothing like the the actress who played her in the movie. So I went to the google machine and found out that her physical appearance caused a lot of problems for them, which is not hard to imagine in the Jim Crow South. I didn't know about this part of Cash's life but I assume it's common knowledge among country music fans.

I guess that is possible, but she was beautiful and Johnny never attributed the failure of the marriage to anything but a failure of his own character.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...sh-2631164.php

to be fair, there are not many entertainment superstars that dont have the same marital problem. It comes with the territory. It is as if such fame and fortune are the most unnatural things that can afflict a man. No man can survive that plague.
    Last edited by user4; 09-25-2019 at 10:35 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I guess that is possible, but she and Johnny never attributed the failure of the marriage to anything but a failure of his character.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...sh-2631164.php
    I don't dispute that at all. That comes across clear in the movie and this documentary.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I like one of the comments in that article "He ain't no Jennifer Beals!"

4. Collapse Details

I was surprised to see Wynton Marsalis offering commentary tonight. Perhaps the critics had a point when they accused Burns of not approaching this subject with the seriousness it deserved.

5. Collapse Details

Having lived through the whole range of this documentary, I am overcome with nostalgia.

6. Collapse Details

Perhaps the critics had a point when they accused Burns
    I think he took it pretty seriously. I don't know who those critics are? I looked on INDB and a few individuals gave it a 1/10. A few thought they should have had a country narrator. As for Burns not naming every single personality or playing every single hit who cares? There is an editing process and I doubt he wanted to hurt anybody.

The overall theme of the series was clear. There will always be change but it has to be based on the foundation built by the forebears.

7. Collapse Details

I thought Burns did and excellent job in coverings all the genres and a lot of background on more artists than I expected. No complaints

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I was surprised to see Wynton Marsalis offering commentary tonight. Perhaps the critics had a point when they accused Burns of not approaching this subject with the seriousness it deserved.
    Marsalis had commentary in most of the episodes

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Marsalis had commentary in most of the episodes
    As I said earlier, I haven't watched every episode start to finish like I did with Vietnam, so last night was my first time seeing Marsalis. However, I've been DVR'ing them and I plan on catching up in what I've missed when I have time.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    how Peter Coyote became the voice of Ken Burns' projects:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/ken-...-narrator.html