Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam$ View Post
    I think he took it pretty seriously. I don't know who those critics are? I looked on INDB and a few individuals gave it a 1/10. ....
    And 36,000 people gave The Godfather, which I believe is the highest rated movie on MDB, a 1.

Proving only that once again different strokes.....

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Fathers abandoning their children can happen for many reasons and it is not uncommon for the mother just to move on and raise the child in the simplest way possible. That often means leaving the past behind. Tirico seems like a well adjusted guy from a well adjusted family.

I have only one thing to add:
    "Id rather drink muddy water and sleep in a hollow log, than to live in the land of Georgia, treated like a dirty dog" - Jimmy Rogers (1927) the father of country music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BlueYodelNo.1.ogg
    Last edited by user4; 09-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I was surprised to see Wynton Marsalis offering commentary tonight. Perhaps the critics had a point when they accused Burns of not approaching this subject with the seriousness it deserved.
    I was not. Good music, regardless of genre, is often studied and discussed across the industry by other musicians. I went to a Keith Urban concert and was surprised by how rock and roll it was for a country music headliner. AC/DC, along with many of my other favorite bands, are heavily influenced by the blues. And, having seen the Stones in concert, I had the privilege of seeing Keith Richard on the stage of the Fox Theater in St. Louis playing with Chuck Berry (celebrating his 60th).

Artists often appreciate and study others across their media, even if it does not match their own voice.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    I was not. Good music, regardless of genre, is often studied and discussed across the industry by other musicians. . . . .

Artists often appreciate and study others across their media, even if it does not match their own voice.
    I wasn't surprised that Marsalis was knowledgeable about country music but that Ken Burns would use him in a documentary about country music when there are many country music artists and critics he could have used instead. I don't recall Burns' "Jazz" documentary featuring and country music artists as commentators. Mick Jagger features prominently in the excellent Aretha Franklin film "Amazing Grace", but as a fan not a commentator.

Some 18 years ago, Burns gave us the history of jazz with the help of on-camera perspective by critics such as Albert Murray, Stanley Crouch and Gary Giddins. But Burns doesn't seem to think country music holds up to such scrutiny: How else to explain the presence of only one country music scholar, Bill C. Malone? To be sure, some performers most notably Marty Stuart and Rosanne Cash are eloquent in their grasp of country music's complexity. But where is context and commentary from critics and historians like, say, Jewly Hight or Holly Gleason, whose books have done so much to rewrite country history to include essential female voices? In place of scholarship, we are given gush
    https://www.npr.org/2019/09/12/76014...-country-music

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I wasn't surprised that Marsalis was knowledgeable about country music but that Ken Burns would use him in a documentary about country music when there are many country music artists and critics he could have used instead....]
    be interesting to see if you feel the same after actually watching the whole series with Marsalis in proper context.

6. Collapse Details

The series was absolutely fabulous particularly since it mainly stayed away from today's country music which, for the most part, I can do without....and this goes back to Garth Brooks. However the featured artists prior to that I at least have an appreciation of and I really like Cash, Haggard, KK, Charlie Pride, George Jones and going back to Hank Williams.

One artist left out for the most part was Glen Campbell. As he was probably the artist who initially had me pay attention to country music at all back in the 60's I was just surprised he wasn't more of a topic even if it was because he had a lot of people pay attention to country music because of him. Was he too pop or perhaps the family didn't make enough available to Burns?

7. Collapse Details

The doc did mention Glen Campbell but I am with you, there are no CW singers left. As an old CW purist, I never thought of him as a country singer.

8. Collapse Details

Brad Paisley is the one current CW guy I like, but admittedly I don't listen much to CW. When I want a CW fix it's almost always Hank Williams SR or Johnny Cash. Went through a short Dwight Yoakam phase a decade or so ago.

The one thing I really liked about Garth Brooks was his turn at hosting a 1998 episode of Saturday Night Live, specifically his role as one of the contestants in a gameshow called 'Old French Whore'. He played one of three old french whores, Coco. Apparently he has some clout because I can't find a video or even a photo of him in that role (lots of video of the rest of his SNL appearance is available). The script of the sketch is available here.

9. Collapse Details

I can't say that I've been a big fan of country music, but the stories were compelling, and I liked hearing the music! On the topic of Gary Brooks, it was mentioned that he went to Oklahoma State on a track scholarship. Do any if you know about which event?

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    belive Brooks was a javelin thrower (not of national caliber)