Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I can't say that I've been a big fan of country music, but the stories were compelling, and I liked hearing the music! On the topic of Gary Brooks, it was mentioned that he went to Oklahoma State on a track scholarship. Do any if you know about which event?
    I'm not much of a country music fan either, but I've found this documentary as compelling as Burns' "Jazz" documentary, despite the fact that I was familiar with 80-90% of the material covered in "Jazz" and only 5-10% of the material covered in "Country Music". I would think that anyone with a general appreciation for music would enjoy it.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    The doc did mention Glen Campbell but I am with you, there are no CW singers left. As an old CW purist, I never thought of him as a country singer.
    i never thought of him as a CW guy either, just a popster. And for years I boughtinto the legend that he played rhythm guitar on Tequila with the Champs. But no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcojS-_aWU8

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    belive Brooks was a javelin thrower (not of national caliber)
    2nd Place on all time OSU Javelin list. PR 200'9"" 1982 Big Eight Outdoor.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i never thought of him as a CW guy either, just a popster. And for years I boughtinto the legend that he played rhythm guitar on Tequila with the Champs. But no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcojS-_aWU8
    In the video Conway Twitty (actually he says Conway Titty) is mentioned. Burns doc spent just a couple of minutes on Conway as well and he's another of my favorites within the genre. Maybe Burns just doesn't like me.

Made me go look for the Bobbi Gentry/Glen Campbell version of Bobby Russell's great "Little Green Apples". Who knew that apples and Indianapolis could rhyme?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    In the video Conway Twitty (actually he says Conway Titty) is mentioned. Burns doc spent just a couple of minutes on Conway as well and he's another of my favorites within the genre. Maybe Burns just doesn't like me.

Made me go look for the Bobbi Gentry/Glen Campbell version of Bobby Russell's great "Little Green Apples". Who knew that apples and Indianapolis could rhyme?
    Not a big fan of Glen Campbell, but your reference to Conway Twitty reminded me of Sun Records. It launched the careers of Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis among others. Twitty emulated Presley and recorded there. I liked them all.

I have this series on my watch list, but between rules stuff, watching Doha, daily marathon heroics, and hiking and rock scrambling, I haven't gotten to it.

I am curious as to how much time Burns spent on Sun Records. It could have been a documentary on its own.

And if you are looking for a trivia question, who was the only artist who had three of his compositions covered by the Beatles?

A: Carl Perkins

6. Collapse Details

I am curious as to how much time Burns spent on Sun Records. It could have been a documentary on its own
    Very little. I think without using any of Philips's voice they told the story of Elvis coming in to record "Blue Moon/Ky" . Burns didn't use Elvis that much. Obviously he was country but more R&R.
    The 95 series R&R on PBS (Burns not involved) featured Sun. They don't repeat it and it's hard to get. Scroll up to about 5.30 for Sun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar4pghIpFPg

7. Collapse Details

Thank you.

8. Collapse Details

Growing up, Glen Campbell was THE country and western artist in my world. Superb instrumentalist, wonderful voice, and left a final gift with the documentary about his Alzheimer's (Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me).

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Growing up, Glen Campbell was THE country and western artist in my world. Superb instrumentalist, wonderful voice, and left a final gift with the documentary about his Alzheimer's (Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me).
    I appreciate the Campbell love. He was a great and generous man. Like most of the country at the time he was born in dirt poor conditions but he found a path forward with raw talent and hard work. I never really liked much of his music but I cant argue with the total volume of work he produced as a session artist, as a writer and a performer. He and Leon Russel are the stuff of legend. Someday someone will write a script worthy of the two poor country boys who made it to the big tent.

10. Collapse Details

One of the neat things about playing PGA Tour was getting to meet a lot of celebs. One year at the Glen Campbell LA Open, on pro-am day, Glen Campbell held court in the locker room and regaled us all with stories about Hollywood and the music industry and basically who was having affairs with who, and who was in all sorts of trouble that was being covered up. Lot of fun stories can't really repeat. Didn't really get to know him but he was a lot of fun.