Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

I assume some of these are largely down to just 1 or 2 jumpers. Havana is presumably all or almost all Sotomayor. Stockholm while it has big meets is probably boosted by Sjoberg and Holm in particular.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I assume some of these are largely down to just 1 or 2 jumpers. Havana is presumably all or almost all Sotomayor. Stockholm while it has big meets is probably boosted by Sjoberg and Holm in particular.
    I was surprised how few locations actually had a single jumper dominating the majority of jumps.

Here is a table of all the locations where 20% or more of jumps were made by a dominant jumper, sorted in descending order of dominance.

The "Jumps" column is the dominant jumper's clearances out of the total for that location. Where there is more than one jumper, each has that many jumps out of the total.

Location Dominant Dominant% Jumps
    Beograd Dragutin Topic 82% 9/11
    La Habana Javier Sotomayor 82% 18/22
    Malmö Hollis Conway 36% 4/11
    Praha Ján Zvara 36% 4/11
    Gateshead Dalton Grant 27% 3/11
    Ad-Dawhah Mutaz Essa Barshim 25% 4/16
    Austin Andra Manson 25% 4/16
    Des Moines Derek Drouin,Dusty Jonas,Erik Kynard 25% 3/12
    Shanghai Mutaz Essa Barshim,Zhu Jianhua 23% 3/13
    Székesfehérvár Donald Thomas 23% 3/13
    Barcelona Patrik Sjöberg 22% 4/18
    Berlin Javier Sotomayor 22% 5/23
    Warszawa Artur Partyka,Mutaz Essa Barshim 21% 3/14
    Saint-Denis Javier Sotomayor 21% 4/19
    Bratislava Rudolf Povarnitsyn 20% 3/15
    Los Angeles Dennis Lewis,Dwight Stones 20% 2/10
    Seoul Lee Jin-Taek 20% 4/20
    Tokyo Javier Sotomayor 20% 3/15
    Villeneuve d'Ascq Patrik Sjöberg 20% 2/10
    Walnut Jesse Williams 20% 2/10

Let me know if you want any more data.

3. Collapse Details

In relation to Stockholm, while it's true Sjoberg has the most jumps, he only had 5 out of 31, or 16%. Here's the full list of 21 names for that location, where 16 jumpers have a single clearance:

Athlete Jumps %
    Patrik Sjöberg 5 16%
    Ivan Ukhov 3 10%
    Stefan Holm 3 10%
    Hollis Conway 2 6%
    Javier Sotomayor 2 6%
    Aleksey Dmitrik 1 3%
    Andrey Chubsa 1 3%
    Andrey Silnov 1 3%
    Dietmar Mögenburg 1 3%
    Dmittriy Demanyuk 1 3%
    Doug Nordquist 1 3%
    Gennadiy Avdeyenko 1 3%
    Germaine Mason 1 3%
    Igor Paklin 1 3%
    JaCorian Duffield 1 3%
    Jesse Williams 1 3%
    Jim Howard 1 3%
    Robert Ruffini 1 3%
    Sorin Matei 1 3%
    Troy Kemp 1 3%
    Vyacheslav Voronin 1 3%
    31 100%

4. Collapse Details

In regards to LA, the Coliseum's track, where Dwight Stones set an American record in 1984 of 7-8 (2.34), was about a half mile from the track on the USC campus, where Dennis Lewis tied Stone's record in 1985. Not included in the Los Angeles marks are 2 results out of Westwood, which is in the city of Los Angeles and approximately 12 miles from USC.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by br View Post
    In regards to LA, the Coliseum's track, where Dwight Stones set an American record in 1984 of 7-8 (2.34), was about a half mile from the track on the USC campus, where Dennis Lewis tied Stone's record in 1985. Not included in the Los Angeles marks are 2 results out of Westwood, which is in the city of Los Angeles and approximately 12 miles from USC.
    This highlights the inherent problem with any sort of geographical classification - there is no guarantee that classifications were made consistently between jurisdictions when reported and that the classifications haven't changed over time.

Even if we had comprehensive venue information attached to performances, are you going to report on an administrative, political or statistical hierarchy, which may or may not coincide?

I believe that gh said some years ago on this board that the "LA" localities were based on what was useful to those compiling and interpreting the lists.

So I assume that Westwood (a neighbourhood in LA City) is code for UCLA and Walnut (a city within LA County) is code for MtSAC. This is a useful distinction (at least for USA West Coasters) but clearly inconsistent in most hierarchical structures. Every other major urban area around the world will have similar problems - see St Denis/Paris earlier.
    Last edited by El Toro; 09-17-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    T....

I believe that gh said some years ago on this board that the "LA" localities were based on what was useful to those compiling and interpreting the lists.

So I assume that Westwood (a neighbourhood in LA City) is code for UCLA and Walnut (a city within LA County) is code for MtSAC. This is a useful distinction (at least for USA West Coasters) but clearly inconsistent in most hierarchical structures. Every other major urban area around the world will have similar problems - see St Denis/Paris earlier.
    more important than useful "to those compiling and interpreting the lists" was making the end product user-friendly to the fans.

Walnut is a separate city; no code involved.

Westwood is indeed a neighborhood of LA; the "code" was invented by T&FN to distinguish UCLA

Eagle Rock (home of Occidental) is also a neighborhood in LA that we give separate treatment.

7. Collapse Details

That being said, it seems to me that for this purpose, Westwood marks should be included in the LA totals. Obviously, Walnut marks should not.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Similarly, T&FN has long noted Randalls Island (site of the DL meet) as a separate place from New York City, of which it's actually a part.

9. Collapse Details

I'll complicate this a bit further by noting that the list includes only outdoor marks. There have been quite a few good indoor marks in some of the cities on the list.

10. Collapse Details

ATFS Annuals annotates the results for at least some locations, indicating the actual stadium where a result was achieved, eg. London (OS) vs London (CP).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...