Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: The Clementine

1. Collapse Details
    The Clementine
    Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday 45 years ago today and won three Olympic medals, six World Championship medals, and three World Indoor medals.

None of those 12 medals are bronze.

Our birthday athlete was only 21 when competing in the first of three Olympic Games.

Don't concern yourself with the hurdles for any of those 12 medals mentioned in the opening sentence.

Rearrange these seven letters (Beer Kan) to find an important clue concerning our birthday athlete and the citrus fruit industry.

This champion was not born in Asia, nor did our birthday athlete win any Olympic medals in Asia.

One more clue would completely give it away, so I will ask you to name this Olympic champion with a birthday on the second Saturday of September.

2. Collapse Details

El Guerrouj

3. Collapse Details

Pretty good clues...

4. Collapse Details

Happy birthday (45) Saturday to Hicham El Guerrouj. Very nice, Mr. Bowie. El Guerrouj, as you might know, was born in Berkane, Morocco, which is very famous for its citrus fruit industry. If you have visited Berkane, then you might remember its famous "The Clementine" which is a large model of an orange in the downtown section of Berkane. I didn't mention that El Guerrouj is the current world record holder in the mile because I knew that would give away the answer too quickly. Who can not remember El Guerrouj's famous 1,500/5,000 Olympic double in Athens (2004)?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy birthday (45) Saturday to Hicham El Guerrouj. Very nice, Mr. Bowie. El Guerrouj, as you might know, was born in Berkane, Morocco, which is very famous for its citrus fruit industry. If you have visited Berkane, then you might remember its famous "The Clementine" which is a large model of an orange in the downtown section of Berkane. I didn't mention that El Guerrouj is the current world record holder in the mile because I knew that would give away the answer too quickly. Who can not remember El Guerrouj's famous 1,500/5,000 Olympic double in Athens (2004)?
    One of my favorite TF people. I had lost interest in track in the mid-nineties, but watching the 1996 Olys on TV, I was immediately impressed when El G was shown prior to a race.

When was the last time, a mens 1500m or 1 mile WR, stood for 20+ years? Is Walter George the answer?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    One of my favorite TF people. I had lost interest in track in the mid-nineties, but watching the 1996 Olys on TV, I was immediately impressed when El G was shown prior to a race.

When was the last time, a mens 1500m or 1 mile WR, stood for 20+ years? Is Walter George the answer?
    And to think, he still dominates the top end of both the 1500 and mile lists!

7. Collapse Details

If I recall correctly, Walter George held the professional mile record set in 1886 and it was not broken until 1915 by Norman Taber, which would be 29 years. John Paul Jones broke the official amateur mile record in 1911 which had previously been held by Thomas Conneff in 1895 which would be 16 year duration (Jones broke his own amateur WR 2 years later beating Taber in IC4A Championships with a 4:14.4 time which became the first official IAAF recorded mile record.

Interesting that Taber was not born yet when George ran his WR 4:12.75 in 1886.
    Is there some one not born yet who will break El G's WR time??

8. Collapse Details

I think they are already born.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I think they are already born.
    They have probably been born by now but were born after El G set his records.

10. Collapse Details

Kejelcha was born 2 years before El G's WR (1997) run and Tefera was born 3 months after El G's run (1999). Someone born in 2004 would equal Taber's feat of putting Walter George down to number 2 spot more than a century ago.
    Last edited by midwestfan; 09-18-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: correction of arithmetic