Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Garry, just out of curiosity, if somebody started a Go Fund Me page for an athlete, would it be breaking any rules?
    As bob said, seems like a federation issue.
    Athletes like SMU or Gardiner can likely just go to Doha on thier own dime.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Athletes like SMU or Gardiner can likely just go to Doha on thier own dime.
    Yes, but they can't enter the meet on their own, even if they can afford to get themselves there, find and pay for their own hotel rooms, and pay any registration fees. They have to be entered by the Federation.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Yes, but they can't enter the meet on their own, even if they can afford to get themselves there, find and pay for their own hotel rooms, and pay any registration fees. They have to be entered by the Federation.
    Yea I asked that hypothetical earlier in the thread, if they are already entered in the meet, could they just pay thier own way to champs, which gh noted IAAF probably wouldn't go for.

I don't think entering athletes is the dispute, at least for the topic at hand, it's financial.

4. Collapse Details

I suppose it's possible that the Federation could withdraw their entries, leaving the athletes SOL. Why would they do that? They might be thinking that if the podium prospects can all pay their own way and get themselves to the meet, the Government would be less likely to pay this expense for the Federation's whole team, now or in the future.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    2 long stories on home page this morning regards Bahamian situation. Included in one of them is this

<<There is also an issue arising that Minister Rolle is seeking to take a nine-member delegation from the ministry to the world championships. Archer said the public should be concerned about where priorities lie, adding that the cost to send a nine-member delegation from the ministry to the world championships would exceed the $25,000 given to the actual team.>>

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    2 long stories on home page this morning regards Bahamian situation. Included in one of them is this

<<There is also an issue arising that Minister Rolle is seeking to take a nine-member delegation from the ministry to the world championships. Archer said the public should be concerned about where priorities lie, adding that the cost to send a nine-member delegation from the ministry to the world championships would exceed the $25,000 given to the actual team.>>

I had alluded to that possibility in an earlier post. So the government has no funding for the athletes but 9 politicians are attending. It begs the question, to watch who compete?

From both articles, there seem to be some ill-will baked in

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post

of course, apparently they are no different than most nations. some Bahamian big shots feel they need a vacation. they likely don't even know who SMU is. /s

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    of course, apparently they are no different than most nations. some Bahamian big shots feel they need a vacation. they likely don't even know who SMU is.
    I'm pretty sure EVERY Bahamian knows who SMU is.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    of course, apparently they are no different than most nations. some Bahamian big shots feel they need a vacation. they likely don't even know who SMU is. /s
    I doubt "most nations" are sending government delegations as large as the team itself.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I doubt "most nations" are sending government delegations as large as the team itself.
    Are you 100% positive of that. There are almost 200 countries, most with tiny lists of actual athletes. If a large number of those have 1 or 2 athletes and 1 or 2 government delegates that would be "most".