Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the centre
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I believe that's a largely American phenomenon. I've never come across a European fan who would follow only men's T&F.
    I know one guy who splits his fervour 90/10 for men's and women's T&F, pretty weird, I have to say
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    What will be interesting in all of this is, how many government "officials" will turn up in Doha as spectators on the tax payers dollar perhaps even flying business class.
    From the article, I would expect the minister Rolle to be absent in keeping with her speech to defend the over 100k shrinkage in the federation's allowance.
    Also, Dorian will now be a huge factor.
    The Minister is simply sending a message to the Federation. Stop resting on your laurels expecting the government to always step in and fund teams that the BAAA is responsible for funding.

    If the 25,000 is deemed sufficient to send the athletes and a modest crew of officials then that's what they shall have.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking View Post
    The Minister is simply sending a message to the Federation. Stop resting on your laurels expecting the government to always step in and fund teams that the BAAA is responsible for funding.

    If the 25,000 is deemed sufficient to send the athletes and a modest crew of officials then that's what they shall have.
    Point well taken, however, why is this being discussed now, why did the Federation and government not sort this out before. Was the BAAA tardy in requesting funding or was the government late in responding to a request for funding.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Point well taken, however, why is this being discussed now, why did the Federation and government not sort this out before. Was the BAAA tardy in requesting funding or was the government late in responding to a request for funding.
    The article says the federation requested $116,000 in February. Also that they received $150K and $140K for 2015 and 2017 respectively. So this year's $116K request wasn't an unexpectedly huge amount.

    If that money will be reimbursed by the host country, I'd hope they'd be able to find a bank or corporate sponsor or even a wealthy individual who would lend them the money.

    But if that amount is for expenses beyond what is reimbursable, I have to wonder what is really going on; the $116K requested amount is only for 10 athletes!
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,623
    rumor has it that an angel has been found
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    Looks like PanAm sports will cover the travel cost for Bahamas
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,236
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I don't believe it's in the IAAF's DNA to allow athletes to free-lance. They maintain their iron grip on the sport by keeping the national federations happy, and using them as a gateway.
    Yes....who knows where that may lead....
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,623
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Looks like PanAm sports will cover the travel cost for Bahamas
    it's not quite that simple, since it appears the Bahamas Oly Committee is in the chain. See story now on home page
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lake Worth, FL
    Posts
    376
    Garry, just out of curiosity, if somebody started a Go Fund Me page for an athlete, would it be breaking any rules?
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Garry, just out of curiosity, if somebody started a Go Fund Me page for an athlete, would it be breaking any rules?
    I wonder, Mr Bowie, if that would mean anything, since it seems it is a National Federation issue, not a personal issue.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •