Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    no Miller-Uibo in Doha?
    Administrator
    funding dispute with the Bahamian government may mean no team at WC?

see story on home page

2. Collapse Details

Pretty crazy, but I'm willing to bet the team will be there.

In the event that BAAA doesn't have enough money, can individual athletes just pay thier own way to Doha if Bahamas already entered them to the meet?

3. Collapse Details

Apparently host country doesn't cover as much of the travel & accommodation costs as we thought. Or the BAAA wants to send a large entourage of officials.

According to Archer, the BAAA proposed a $116,000 budget to the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture for the prestigious meet from February 1 of this year and on Wednesday evening, September 11, the ministry granted them $25,000 way short of the proposed budget.

The team is set to travel next week and Archer said if they only have $25,000 they will not send a team to Doha. The BAAA refuses to send a team that can only send some of the athletes because all of the athletes qualify for the meet.

4. Collapse Details

The host covers ALL travel expenses in economy f& accommodation for 13 days for all athletes & one delegate. That 116000 is probably for the rest of the team and travel expenses before the championships. Gotta arrive early to compensate for time difference and/or adjust to climate.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    The host covers ALL travel expenses in economy f& accommodation for 13 days for all athletes & one delegate.
    Yeah, but wouldn't the federation still need to put up money for travel before they get reimbursed? I'm not sure the organizers are directly involved in booking air tickets for all 200+ teams.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and now isn't a particularly great time to be hitting up the Bahamian government for money.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    The host covers ALL travel expenses in economy f & accommodation for 13 days for all athletes & one delegate. That 116000 is probably for the rest of the team and travel expenses before the championships.
    Oh, that will never do for the other fat cat 'delegates' that want to tag along gratis. If ya wanna go that bad, pay for yourself!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Oh, that will never do for the other fat cat 'delegates' that want to tag along gratis. If ya wanna go that bad, pay for yourself!
    Would you say the same about the team coaches?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Would you say the same about the team coaches?
    I would tell the national federation (i.e., not the natl government) to pony up the money for whomever else they want to go. If the Bah fed can't or won't do that, they don't go. The athletes don't need coaches at this point; they just need a rep for logistics. (I'm oversimplifying, of course, but this extortion is total crapola.)

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The athletes don't need coaches at this point; they just need a rep for logistics. (I'm oversimplifying, of course, but this extortion is total crapola.)
    I think this tends to be a large part of the team coaches' job. Especially for things like when to have relay sessions and telling X and Y they may be in heats 1 and 7 respectively but they will both need to get the same bus to the warm-up track.

You certainly do get hangers-on riding the gravy train. A few years ago I spectated at a World Junior Champs. Early on in the meet one of our party decided to visit the IAAF's hotel for the Champs to see if he could get hold of some startlists. At the enquiry desk they asked him his name so he told them. His surname happened to match that of a VIP from another English-speaking country and almost before he knew it he had been given a luggage trolley emblazoned with the Championships logo along with accreditations for the VIP and 2 family members. I ended up using what I believe was the daughter's accreditation to ensure free tram travel between the stadium and the City Centre(er). I am 99.9% sure the actual VIP never came to the Champs