Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Nike 5000

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    My first thought, especially after reading the track was only certified for a 5K. It would have had to be "re-surveyed" for a 3K or 1500.

What?
    is whoever wrote that trustworthy?

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote is from Michael Bergmann of Portland Track

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...y-at-nike.html
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    If the track isn't 400m
    But the article says it's a 400 track....unless of course they laid down the rail and the track wasn't 400 afterwards....

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    But the article says it's a 400 track....unless of course they laid down the rail and the track wasn't 400 afterwards....
    If it's the Hayward rail and is placed with all the parts still included, then the start lines should remain where they were originally marked on the rail (if they were so marked).

5. Collapse Details

If the track was originally designed and painted not to have a curb (kerb for my friends on the other side of the Pond) - of course we all know that the measured running line is 20cm out from the outer edge. The IAAF requires a curb for records and qualifying marks. Placing a curb down on this type of track now creates a new running line 30 cm out - making the track long

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by measurer View Post
    If the track was originally designed and painted not to have a curb (kerb for my friends on the other side of the Pond) - of course we all know that the measured running line is 20cm out from the outer edge. The IAAF requires a curb for records and qualifying marks. Placing a curb down on this type of track now creates a new running line 30 cm out - making the track long
    this is your field of expertise, not mine, but if the Hayward track was legal (and properly measured from the curb), then it doesn't matter where the curb is laid, the proper offset comes along with it, no?

7. Collapse Details

Right....I see what you mean....once the curb is laid down then it doesn't matter what the track was originally measured at....it could be laid on a mondo field for that matter ....it would be a problem with the outer lanes but in a 5000 that wouldn't matter...

I could see where the 1500 start could be off....but the 3000 would be the same start as the 5. Someone wrote something that they didn't understand.

8. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Someone wrote something that they didn't understand.

That was a direct quote from Bergmann, who I suspect knows what he's talking about.
    There are no strings on me

9. Collapse Details

That was a direct quote from Bergmann, who I suspect knows what he's talking about.
    God could have written it and it still doesn't make any sense....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-11-2019 at 09:18 PM.

10. Collapse Details

I think I understand measurer's point. If you take the Hayward track and put it exactly on the inside line of a track that was 400m, properly measured 20cm from the line, the 400m point will be a bit short of the common start/finish line when you measure the track 30cm from the curb. That means that a lap will be longer than 400m. Multiply the difference by 12 1/2 (for a 5000m race) and the difference is significant enough to warrant moving the normal start line, which would mean re-surveying the track. (It would also account for the fact that the 3000 and 5000 start lines would be different.)