Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Nike 5000

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    but the curb is a fixed piece(s) of metal/whatever; it doesn't configure to the track it's laid on. It is what it is, unless they get into sawing bits out of it, no?

2. Collapse Details

Good thing they didn't break a record!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    but the curb is a fixed piece(s) of metal/whatever; it doesn't configure to the track it's laid on. It is what it is, unless they get into sawing bits out of it, no?
    All the more reason to re-survey the track. But you're right--if it didn't fit exactly on the old track inside lane, then my reasoning wouldn't apply. I may have been thinking of another track, where they built a curb to add to a track that hadn't originally been measured on the assumption that there would be one.

4. Collapse Details

The race scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBlxa26Qa1U

Lomong had Kincaid gapped at the bell but couldn't hold on. If Kincaid closed in 57.5, Lomong was maybe a touch under 60. Too close to his limit to find his high gear.

Centrowitz looking fantastic is the most notable impression I get.

5. Collapse Details

Centro has a short, crisp, efficient stride that seems like it might be well-suited to 5K and 10K racing.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Right....I see what you mean....once the curb is laid down then it doesn't matter what the track was originally measured at....it could be laid on a mondo field for that matter ....it would be a problem with the outer lanes but in a 5000 that wouldn't matter...

I could see where the 1500 start could be off....but the 3000 would be the same start as the 5. Someone wrote something that they didn't understand.
    Wouldn't the difference in starting lines between kerbed and non-kerbed tracks be equal to:

10cm * pi * (number of curves run)?

So the adjustment for a 3000 would be 150pi cm and the adjustment for a 5000 would be 250pi cm.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Exactly....they could put it on a plain unmarked field and it be would accurate..assuming they used all the pieces it doesn't matter what the original measurement was....completely irrelevant...the lane markings might be off....

Remember this isn't rocket science....it's just 2 semi circles connected by 2 straights. It only fits one way.

Also I assumed they remeasured....but even if they didn't it wouldn't be off by much.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tusk View Post
    Wouldn't the difference in starting lines between kerbed and non-kerbed tracks be equal to:

10cm * pi * (number of curves run)?

So the adjustment for a 3000 would be 150pi cm and the adjustment for a 5000 would be 250pi cm.

It doesn't matter if you are racing in lane one the entire race....once the rail is laid down it's 400 meters from the start back to the start line in lane 1... so 12 1/2 laps for a 5 and 7 1/2 for a 3....

Now lane 2 might be off but irrelevant in a 5000....

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    If Kincaid closed in 57.5, Lomong was maybe a touch under 60.
    Final lap for Lomong was 60.19. Centrowitz 59.56

Full splits here:
    https://live.athletictiming.net/meet.../171227/splits

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Exactly....they could put it on a plain unmarked field and it be would accurate..assuming they used all the pieces it doesn't matter what the original measurement was....completely irrelevant...the lane markings might be off....

Remember this isn't rocket science....it's just 2 semi circles connected by 2 straights. It only fits one way.

Also I assumed they remeasured....but even if they didn't it wouldn't be off by much.
    I have learned that the Portland team did everything by the book - the same as other events where athletes were trying to get the IAAF Standard (curb required).
    Consider the following:
    1. Curbs are custom made for a specific track's radius
    2. You can use a curb from another track with a different radius but you would have to tinker with the sections, remove a sections, adjustment the spacing or get a hack saw.
    3. Curbs are not required on the straight sections
    4. This track was surveyed and built not to have a curb.
    5. The curb was adjusted to make it fit over the white left line the designates the inside of the track.
    6. The measured line then becomes 10 cm further out and therefore the track is now slightly long.
    7. The 5000 m starting line was shifted forward.
    I would never trust the curb alone to indicate the distance of a track - that's why it's placed on the white measured line.