Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    There was for the last 2 WCh so I expect so, though it'll be geo-blocked in nations with TV coverage.
    Any advice on which browser to use?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    Any advice on which browser to use?
    Sorry, no. I only use the Hola extension (not a paid VPN) and never have any luck using that to get past Youtube's geo-blocking.

Maybe someone else has a good tip?

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    see post #28

4. Collapse Details

VPNs are cheap and easy to use. I can specify which country my IP is in and then watch all that country's content for free.

5. Collapse Details

Cheap, easy, and.... ethical?

Just pondering the ethics of it all.

6. Collapse Details

Is it ethical that large corporations demand globalisation when it suits them, but prefer to compartmentalise when it doesn't? VPNs are legal, that's what matters. I am allowed to give you remote access to my computer for example and you could watch German tv with it. That is exactly what a vpn does and it's legal, remote access is implemented in all current computer operating systems.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    VPNs are cheap and easy to use. I can specify which country my IP is in and then watch all that country's content for free.
    Lucky you....there isn't enough lousy stuff on here so you have to go find more....

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Is it ethical that large corporations demand globalisation when it suits them, but prefer to compartmentalise when it doesn't? VPNs are legal, that's what matters. I am allowed to give you remote access to my computer for example and you could watch German tv with it. That is exactly what a vpn does and it's legal, remote access is implemented in all current computer operating systems.
    Accessing broadcasts via VPN in countries that have TV licensing laws complicates this (BBC in Britain, for example). If you're not paying a license fee, is it really ethical to access those broadcasts remotely?

I understand many people have an "everything should be free" mentality.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Cheap, easy, and.... ethical?
    Just pondering the ethics of it all.
    I have wondered that also.
    Some points to ponder.

* VPNs can be blocked with the right tech, which (apparently) is how some pay-sites keep you from accessing their material

* if you can't get the video through any pay means, then you aren't depriving anyone of income.

* There has lots of copyrighted material for free on the web (Youtube!), which companies have successfully fought to get rid of.

VPNs are legal (which doesn't address the ethics of it).

I pay for NBC Gold, FloTrack and through my cable-provider I get the various sports channels like NBC Sports and the Oly Channel, so the things I do VPN are overseas meets that are only available in certain locations, which I have no other way to access, so I 'THINK' I'm not losing them any revenue. I would not steal a signal that I could otherwise access on PPV.

I'm interested in hearing others' views on this.

I do think that the internet has opened all sort of cans of worms, ethics-wise.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Accessing broadcasts via VPN in countries that have TV licensing laws complicates this (BBC in Britain, for example). If you're not paying a license fee, is it really ethical to access those broadcasts remotely?

I understand many people have an "everything should be free" mentality.
    It is illegal for a broadcaster to make stuff available outside of the area which he paid for. It is not illegal to receive those broadcasts. And how can it be unethical to receive a broadcast i wouldn't be able to pay for even if i wanted to? I am paying the licence fee in Germany, but i couldn't pay the fee for lets say Austria or Poland even if i wanted to. Yet if you live close to the border to these countries, you can receive their television broadcasts.