Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    ll have been watching NBC Gold on computer.. enjoying but gotta figure out how to switch to TV... sic days to go, bigger screen, more comfortable recliner.
    I have an iMac and an Apple TV, so I can project whatever is on my computer monitor to our 55" TV in the bedroom (Air Drop). The problem is, I'm not at the computer to switch tabs on Chrome; I usually have NBC Gold on one tab and two-three IAAF "Live Results" on other tabs.

Some computers have TV outputs.
    Good luck,
    Alan Shank

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    It's good thing I was counting misses in the PV, because the guys on TV sure told us nothing.
    I was trying to do that too..., if you look away the nano-second they show the 0's and x's you can get lost.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I was trying to do that too..., if you look away the nano-second they show the 0's and x's you can get lost.
    That's why you need to have the Live Results going while you watch the action, but don't look at them before an attempt, because they are usually a bit ahead of the TV stream.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

4. Collapse Details

On a completely other note, when one of the jumpers jiggled the bar and hurried to get out of the pit, Rob Walker said that if the athlete exits the pit while the bar is still up, it's a good jump. Obviously, there is no such rule. I wonder whether there ever was, or is that a "old wives' tale"?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

5. Collapse Details

Never was a rule, as far as I know.

6. Collapse Details

Seriously folks, give up on the NBC rubbish. Just get your computer to pretend it's in Hong Kong or Romania or somesuch (Windscribe is a solid free VPN chrome add-on), and rejoice in the ad-free, interview-lite, pretty event-promiscuous IAAF Youtube stream.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Are you saying you can only watch NBC Gold on your tablets and not your desktop?
    Yes, that is exactly my problem.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Never was a rule, as far as I know.
    That's what I've heard. I wonder if it was partly a misunderstanding due to the fact that if there is an official indicating a clearance with a white flag they often don't raise it until the athlete gets off the bed.

9. Collapse Details

Dan O'Brien has matured into a very solid commentator. He's the best of the NBC Gold folks right now.

10. Collapse Details

I wonder if it was partly a misunderstanding due to the fact that if there is an official indicating a clearance with a white flag they often don't raise it until the athlete gets off the bed.
    That is a reasonable an explanation for the mis-statement of the rules, although the use of flags in HJ events is far from universal at all levels.
    Bottom line is that the official must determine that the jumper displaced the bar. This implies a possible though unusual ruling that clearance was achieved but wind or some other interference displaced the bar rather than the jumper.