Facts, Not Fiction

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I believe the repeated puffery was about how "brilliant" he was; I thought of starting a drinking game but figured it would induce cirrhosis.
    Another drinking game would have been each time time announcer on Gold said penultimate on Saturday.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Penultimate is a fine word. ...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    Another drinking game would have been each time time announcer on Gold said penultimate on Saturday.
    Now you're beating up on one of gh's favorite words . . .

4. Collapse Details

I do a lot of announcing at local high school and college meets, and I always use the word "penultimate" at least once during each meet.

Consequently, a friend who has a timing company has threatened / promised to buy me a t-shirt that says, "I'm going to stop using the word 'penultimate," if it's the next to last thing I do."

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    screw "penultimate": not sure if I ever imitated him, but back in the day when Bob Hersh ruled, he would regularly slip in "antepenultimate" and on at least one occasion "preantiepenultimate"!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Penultimate is a fine word. ...
    Beats the heck out of "absolutely"

7. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Now what I would really like to see from NBC Sports Gold is 2 videos, one of track and one of field, that have all of the action condensed with no intros or pauses. 100% action. Pretty Please!

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    We had a long stretch at the beginning of the men's pole vault final where nothing else was happening, so they were discussing PV with Dan during their coverage.

Some of his comments were making me cringe because they weren't entirely accurate... but then he waxed poetic about jumping at a beach vault in Tacoma (WA) which is the meet I am now the meet director of, SO ALL IS FORGIVEN DAN!!!!

9. Collapse Details

My local NBC affiliate refused to show the second weekend of action. So I had to wait until late night to catch reruns on NBCSN or Olympic Channel. I got accidentally exposed to the results of women's 4x1, but otherwise managed to avoid any other spoiler.

And I had thought I wouldn't have to worry about the spoilers at least during the weekend. How wrong I was.

10. Collapse Details

One thing I liked about NBC's coverage this time was that, rather than completely cutting away from distance races, they used a split screen to show continuing coverage even during commercials. Kudos for that, NBC!