Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Seems to me the continuing trend is that Brit commentators more often describe what is really happening while the US narration follows pre-scripted talking points.
    In one NBC Sports broadcast several minutes of time were allotted to a tribute to Usain Bolt... I kept wondering why? Bolt is long gone from the WC scene and (realistically) there is no expectation that any current sprinter would exceed or even come close to his WRs. Sort of like saying "you shoulda been here yesterday".

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    That's what I've heard. I wonder if it was partly a misunderstanding due to the fact that if there is an official indicating a clearance with a white flag they often don't raise it until the athlete gets off the bed.
    except it was a myth even back in the sawdust days, and before there were officials with flags.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Yes, that is exactly my problem.
    I've recently had to re-download the App (or download an updated app?) because I wasn't able to get it on a particular TV at work, and now I can.

Desk Top, Roku, RokuTV, Laptop, FireTV...all work so far...
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

4. Collapse Details

Also: I hate the light show introductions that require the athletes to stand at their blocks way too long.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    I've recently had to re-download the App (or download an updated app?) because I wasn't able to get it on a particular TV at work, and now I can.

Desk Top, Roku, RokuTV, Laptop, FireTV...all work so far...
    I watch on Google Chrome on an entertainment computer with the Windows 7 operating system and that's always worked for me.

6. Collapse Details

Installed Firestick, joined Amazon, selected apps.. now I can bring NBC Gold and ESPN + to screen but see app only, cannot activate to watch live...

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    It should work...after getting the activation code....there should directions that pop up. After clicking nbc sports app...I've never had a problem..

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Seriously folks, give up on the NBC rubbish. Just get your computer to pretend it's in Hong Kong or Romania or somesuch (Windscribe is a solid free VPN chrome add-on), and rejoice in the ad-free, interview-lite, pretty event-promiscuous IAAF Youtube stream.
    Does the IAAF have separate streams for field events? If not, when a longer race is on (3000+), do they interrupt the race for field action, and, if so, do they keep the race going in a separate window?

Who are the commentators?
    I can get that by changing my name to Ionescu (>:-), but the NBC Gold is quite satisfactory. I watched a bit of the NBC/NBCSN/Oly Channel stuff on my DVR the other night, and they actually showed the long races in a window during the commercials. That is what I call PROGRESS.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Does the IAAF have separate streams for field events? If not, when a longer race is on (3000+), do they interrupt the race for field action, and, if so, do they keep the race going in a separate window?

Who are the commentators?
    I can get that by changing my name to Ionescu (>:-), but the NBC Gold is quite satisfactory. I watched a bit of the NBC/NBCSN/Oly Channel stuff on my DVR the other night, and they actually showed the long races in a window during the commercials. That is what I call PROGRESS.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    No, they don't have separate field streams.

During races of 3000m or longer they do show field action but they go split-screen with a larger window for the field event and a smaller one for the track race.

The commentators are Tim Hutchings, Tony Husband, Derval O'Rourke & Tamsyn Manou (née Lewis). Tim & Tony split the lead-commentating between them while Derval & Tamsyn alternate between co-commentating and doing short track-side pieces.

They also have the occasional coach/athlete interview (usually no longer than 90 seconds) so it's not quite the wall-to-wall action of previous years, although the split-screen for field & track is an improvement.

I'm guessing the remaining road events (the men's marathon & 20km walk) will be commentated on by Tony Husband & Mara Yamauchi. They commentated on the first 3 road events. Both good and Mara was very well informed.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 10-03-2019 at 06:18 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    I tend to hook up my old laptop (cracked screen) to big-screen TV and have the main (track) feed on it. Use my un-cracked laptop to tab between live-results/forum chat/field streams. And my phone to follow social media.)
    Being in Africa, I get the IAAF YouTube stream, which is actually quite good, though the commentators could stand to be a bit more informed, and the on track reporter is insipid, but hooking up the laptop to the tv works great for me.