Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I don't know what a VPN is.... what do I need to subscribe to to watch Doha?

2. Collapse Details

A vpn is a service that allows you to connect to the internet via a remote computer. If that remote computer is in the UK for example it would allow you to receive tv streams for British television. Or if you wanted to watch the Doha broadcasts from CBC in Canada, you could connect to a remote computer in Canada and watch the CBC stream.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Lucky you....there isn't enough lousy stuff on here so you have to go find more....
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Opera browser has it preinstalled. It has limited capabilities, but for my needs, it is sufficient. Type Opera.com in your browser's search window, install it and enable VPN from the settings. I generally leave it on "optimal location."
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    It is illegal for a broadcaster to make stuff available outside of the area which he paid for. It is not illegal to receive those broadcasts. And how can it be unethical to receive a broadcast i wouldn't be able to pay for even if i wanted to? I am paying the licence fee in Germany, but i couldn't pay the fee for lets say Austria or Poland even if i wanted to. Yet if you live close to the border to these countries, you can receive their television broadcasts.
    I should have focused specifically on the U.S. in this instance.
    Full coverage is available on NBC Gold, which requires a subscription fee. A U.S. resident who bypasses that and uses a VPN to watch for free from another country... I just don't know that I think it is completely ethical.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    forget the ethics part; if you deprive NBC of revenue, you're potentially contributing to the network deciding it's just not a workable business model, and killing it/cutting it back

6. Collapse Details

Pego said in post #28 that NBC can block the VPN. Is that so? If they can block it and choose not to, does that change things?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Are you in the US? If so, you can subscribe to NBC Gold, which I think is $79 for the whole year; of course, 2/3 of the year is over. Maybe they have a reduced price for tail-end of the season. The OTA coverage, on NBCSN and Olympic Channel, may or may not be in your cable package.

On another note, I have used ExpressVPN and PureVPN with the Chrome browser with good results.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Pego said in post #28 that NBC can block the VPN. Is that so? If they can block it and choose not to, does that change things?
    I don't know that much about a technical aspect of it. DL events that were only on NBC Gold rather than a live telecast, I could not get the webcast from Watchathletics. Either way, NBC evidently can block what it wants blocked.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Opera browser has it preinstalled. It has limited capabilities, but for my needs, it is sufficient. Type Opera.com in your browser's search window, install it and enable VPN from the settings. I generally leave it on "optimal location."
    Firefox also now has a VPN you can install from it. VPN = virtual private network for those not familiar.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Are you in the US? If so, you can subscribe to NBC Gold, which I think is $79 for the whole year; of course, 2/3 of the year is over. Maybe they have a reduced price for tail-end of the season.
    Down to 60 bucks now.