Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    ... I watched some BBC stuff from Rio, and was appalled at how much of it was round-table discussion and how focused on British athletes it was.
    Oh yes, we're always complaining in the UK about all the studio chat while there's field events going on behind them.

The lead presenter for athletics is called Gabby Logan so I call it "Gabbing with Gabby". It's very frustrating and if I get the chance to watch the world feed (or European Athletics feed for Euro events) I'll always do that rather than suffer the BBC.

The BBC do lots of things very, very well - dramas, wildlife documentaries etc etc. However, athletics coverage is not one of them.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 09-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    Oh yes, we're always complaining in the UK about all the studio chat while there's field events going on behind them.

The lead presenter for athletics is called Gabby Logan so I call it "Gabbing with Gabby". It's very frustrating and if I get the chance to watch the world feed (or European Athletics feed for Euro events) I'll always do that rather than suffer the BBC.
    Glad you think so, too. It's really a shame, because the UK supports athletics (I don't mean the federation, but the fans) better than anyone.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I imagine it has been already covered here, but I am curious about the schedule for television coverage in the U.S. for the World Championships in Doha.

Can anyone help me with the schedule and the channel (NBC?)
    I havenít seen anything yet either but during telecasts they keep saying that the networks of nbc will televise the meet.

4. Collapse Details

zap2it.com shows the in stadium portion live on NBCSN and the Marathon live on the Olympic channel for Day 1. Day 1 is as far out as zap2it goes.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Glad you think so, too. It's really a shame, because the UK supports athletics (I don't mean the federation, but the fans) better than anyone.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    I have the same criticism others do about too much studio chat and too nationalistic in the UK coverage.

However, athletics in champs is routinely shown on prime time on either the UKís most watched TV channel or one of its top 4. Once the coverage moves out of the sports channels it feels the need to create more of a story and narrative. As much as I dislike this, I think itís probably fair for the average viewer who last saw the sport 12 months ago and might have a vague clue that DAS is that lovely girl on the front of The Times magazine and is reflecting that isnít it a pity that Jess retired but arenít her babies cute. On this basis the coverage (by TV execs at least) is seen as more appropriate and is different to Eurosport or US equivalents

6. Collapse Details

Don't they offer any dedicated streams in the UK? In Germany we get the main program, but also several streams for events with German athletes.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Hoping that this time Sports Gold links the feeds for BOTH pits/runways in the field event prelims.

It is incredibly frustrating to know that the cameras are on an event and a feed exists, but the utter lack of care about our sport means that half the coverage of prelims is missing, and no one at USATF/IAAF/NBC care.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It is incredibly frustrating to know that the cameras are on an event and a feed exists, but the utter lack of care about our sport means that half the coverage of prelims is missing, and no one at USATF/IAAF/NBC care.
    Now you know how most of us feel all year long. Most countries can't get the bonus streams for the Diamond League like you do on NBC Gold. Eurosport doesn't offer them at all, not even in the Player, where they have dozens of streams for tennis, snooker, motorsports. I don't get how "let's improve tv broadcasts" seems to be the one idea nobody from the IAAF comes up with. Instead they think killing the field events, coming up with "dynamic new athletics" and other nonsense is the solution.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Don't they offer any dedicated streams in the UK? In Germany we get the main program, but also several streams for events with German athletes.
    I'm not sure if they do on the BBC. They might sometimes have 'red-button' coverage of live action when they are not broadcasting on their main channels.

I tend to watch Eurosport more than the BBC for Champs that both are broadcasting.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    In Poland we got that at OG, but not at WC, at least not in past editions until now.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...