Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    ?!
    Wouldn't that just make for constantly disappointing races?
    No moreso than the red line WR overlay on the long jump pit makes every jump a disappointment. In fact, I think it would help people realize how small the difference is between e.g. a 9.8 and 9.6s race.
    Last edited by JRM; 09-11-2019 at 12:30 AM.

2. Collapse Details

I agree that there shouldn't be a WR overlay in the long jump pit or any of the throwing event landing areas. World lead is good enough, and event leader after the first attempt, in addition to perhaps an 8.00 line in the men's long jump and a couple of round-number marks in the throws landing areas.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I agree that there shouldn't be a WR overlay in the long jump pit or any of the throwing event landing areas. World lead is good enough, and event leader after the first attempt, in addition to perhaps an 8.00 line in the men's long jump and a couple of round-number marks in the throws landing areas.
    I realized I should clarify. I wouldn't want the Bolt overlay DURING THE ACTUAL RACE. That would sap the excitement. Just as a curiosity replay of "how does that race stack up?". But I guess not everyone shares that kind of curiosity, based on these responses, so I digress.

4. Collapse Details

I like having WR/WL, event leader and individual best mark shown on every jump.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I like having WR/WL, event leader and individual best mark shown on every jump.
    one thing on longer measure, but in LJ it tends to produce a bunch of clutter that almost makes it harder to follow

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    one thing on longer measure, but in LJ it tends to produce a bunch of clutter that almost makes it harder to follow
    Yes, I only want two lines superimposed on the sand: current leader and the WL. Records are irrelevant right then.

7. Collapse Details

Yes, I only want two lines superimposed on the sand: current leader and the WL. Records are irrelevant right then.
    They actually use different lines depending on what's relevant at a given moment. From my recollection, they're most often related to placings in the competition, not records. In qualifying, they might show what it takes to get into the top 12, in the third of the final, the 8th place mark etc.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    In qualifying, they might show what it takes to get into the top 12, in the third of the final, the 8th place mark etc.
    Good point.

In DLs, the WL and comp lead are good.

But in Championships -
    In qualifying - what is the auto qual mark and top-12 mark?
    In the final's first 3 jumps, the top mark and the 8th mark.
    In the final 3 jumps, the top mark and the 3rd mark.

9. Collapse Details

I like being able to see the 7 meter line for women, and 8 meter line for men in the long jump.
    Last edited by TWalsh; 09-11-2019 at 02:39 PM.

10. Collapse Details

As far as running events go, I think it's important to get the best shots DURING the competition, then all of the block camera, foot camera, overhead camera, etc., shots post-race.

Head-on shots during distance races are worthless unless only held for a couple of seconds, and only rarely during the race. Same goes for the mobile camera next to the runners. It's nice to see a two man struggle for a couple of seconds, but not to the exclusion of the overall race.