Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by curtgod View Post
    Hi, i remember watching the BBC analysis from the 2015 worlds in Beijing and mj was doing his usual analysis and they had a mph speed gauge on the 100m final in which bolt won in 9.79 sec's and he hit 29mph.
    There's absolutely no way he did. 29 mph would give a 10-meter split of 0.77. Nobody has ever been close to 0.80.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

A few years back, at a DL meet, one runner wore a camera vest. Footage was utterly boring and thankfully never repeated.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    There's absolutely no way he did. 29 mph would give a 10-meter split of 0.77. Nobody has ever been close to 0.80.
    When you are rounding to the nearist mph, you are only getting 2+ digits accuracy. a 28.5 would get you in to realistic territory. In fact, for something putting out two digits you would expect it to fluctuate between two values for an almost constant speed if you are anywhere near the rounding point. Kph would be better, in that at least it would be close to 50 and the rounding effect diminished. However, the underlying data might be more detailed and available for analysis. So do not complain.

As for drones, they have a real advantage in that stadium because there are probably few variable breezes to move the position from the desired point and it should be possible to keep it from the crowd. Might be nice to get 'exactly' perpendicular images for the horizontal jumps and better parallax(?) for the throws. It should help that fewer events are going on at the same time as compared to a DL meet.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    A few years back, at a DL meet, one runner wore a camera vest. Footage was utterly boring and thankfully never repeated.
    Hahaha I remember that crap. Thankfully everyone decided that it was a bad idea.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    28.5 would get you in to realistic territory.
    Naah, it would get you to 0.785. Still way too fast.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

I was not aware people were clamoring for a shot of sprinters faces at the gun.

7. Collapse Details

I don't know that anyone is clamoring for anything, but I don't see any problem with introducing new presentation features that might enhance the viewer/spectator experience. Not everything will work, but some things may. As long as they don't muck up the competition or upset the athletes, it's worth experimenting with things that may be good for our fans and perhaps attract new ones.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I don't know that anyone is clamoring for anything, but I don't see any problem with introducing new presentation features that might enhance the viewer/spectator experience. Not everything will work, but some things may. As long as they don't muck up the competition or upset the athletes, it's worth experimenting with things that may be good for our fans and perhaps attract new ones.
    My feelings zackly.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Anything better than the same thing over and over....

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Naah, it would get you to 0.785. Still way too fast.
    Well, it should be pointed out that sprinters do not maintain a constant speed during the race. It's positive acceleration through about 60m, and negative acceleration from there on out. There's nothing to rule out an instantaneous speed of 28-29mph (about 12.5-13m/s) if it's bookended by slower speeds.