Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Big Event

1. Collapse Details
    Big Event
    This month's (September) "Big Event" happened 47 years ago today and involved a spectacular world record which some of you may have seen in person.

If you didn't see this performance in person (and you were alive then and not too young), you may have seen it on television.

This world record did not involve hurdles and the date of this "Big Event" is a huge clue for most of you.

Ok, name the event, the athlete, and the site of this world record. For extra credit, you can give the actual world record mark.

2. Collapse Details

The site was obviously Munich. I saw it in person. I've no idea how the date could be related to a record. There were several WRs at the Munich Games, but I've no recollection as to what happened on this date.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    This month's (September) "Big Event" happened 47 years ago today and involved a spectacular world record which some of you may have seen in person.

If you didn't see this performance in person (and you were alive then and not too young), you may have seen it on television.

This world record did not involve hurdles and the date of this "Big Event" is a huge clue for most of you.

Ok, name the event, the athlete, and the site of this world record. For extra credit, you can give the actual world record mark.
    Assuming this is about TF. Then would seem to be at the Munich Olys. As I recall not too many WRs set there. Best bet would seem to be the women's 1500m, where Lyudmila Bragina set three WRs. If this is it, would have to be the final where Bragina ran 4:01 something, though no idea whether this run was on 9/9/72.

4. Collapse Details

You got it catson52. Lyudmila Bragina set three world records during the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. Her third world record in Munich was 4:01.4 in the final (she set her first in the heats and the second in the semi-finals).

As some of you may remember, Olympic competition was cancelled on September 6 because of the terrorist attacks. That moved some events back one day and what you may not remember was that the women's 1,500 was one of those events.

All of this happened 47 years ago.