Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    recent developments that need answering? WORLD'S related.
    Hi,

sorry for such perhaps a misleading title, not as troubling as it sounds was just curious and would like some answers or details on some going's on in the track world which i cant find on sites or on social media so thought i would ask members on here with their great knowledge.

1. is Kenny bednarek going to Doha in the 200m now that lyles has won the diamond league title over 200m?

2. is janeek brown joining Danielle Williams over the sprint hurdles in Doha?

3. sensitive and this is certainly not a discussion on what is going on or what has transpired with this athlete, that being said does anyone have any idea when the Briana Williams hearing might be?, Doha is not that far away now.

4. with the Berlin marathon taking place during the worlds in Doha does this mean that the Doha fields for the marathons will be weaker?

5. is the track and Doha going to be brand new state of the art or the same one used back in may for the diamond league?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    How can the WC marathon get any weaker than it already is....if there is a more pointless race these days I'd love to hear it.....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    How can the WC marathon get any weaker than it already is....if there is a more pointless race these days I'd love to hear it.....
    Yeah, the WC marathons are sometimes less than elite; OTOH, the 2015 W MAR was one of the best I've ever seen, with four entering the tunnel together. Remember 2001, when the M MAR wasn't decided until on the track? The women's race in 2001 was also very close. In the 2007 W MAR, the top three were within 18 seconds. In 2009, the top four women were within 24 seconds. Edna Kiplagat, a great marathoner, won in both 2011 and 2013, by 15 and 14 seconds. Then in London, she was involved in practically a dead heat for 2nd, with Amy Cragg, 4th place just another 3 back.

So, there have been quite a few good RACES, not many of what we consider fast times, often due to the warm-weather sites where many of these have been held.

There are going to be some very good Kenyan, Ethiopian and Ugandan runners in Doha; it will be interesting to see what the weather is like from midnight to 2:30 AM!

You are excused from watching it, Conor! >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Bodega Bay, CA, USA

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by curtgod View Post
    5. is the track and Doha going to be brand new state of the art or the same one used back in may for the diamond league?

Thanks
    I believe the Doha DL was on the "new" track. Anyone?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

5. Collapse Details

1. is Kenny bednarek going to Doha in the 200m now that lyles has won the diamond league title over 200m?
    Probably not. He announced this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/KennyBednarek/st...69757405925376
    It’s been a long season and I’ve proven that I belong on this stage. I have nothing else to prove this year. I’ll be back stronger than ever after this!!
    --------
    2. is janeek brown joining Danielle Williams over the sprint hurdles in Doha?
    Yes, if the JAAA follows their statement of selecting athletes for the 100mh based on IAAF world rankings. Brown is the next-highest ranked Jamaican in the event after Williams.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    I believe the Doha DL was on the "new" track. Anyone?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Yes, the Khalifa stadium with the massive air-con vents.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Yeah, the WC marathons are sometimes less than elite; OTOH, the 2015 W MAR was one of the best I've ever seen, with four entering the tunnel together. Remember 2001, when the M MAR wasn't decided until on the track? The women's race in 2001 was also very close. In the 2007 W MAR, the top three were within 18 seconds. In 2009, the top four women were within 24 seconds. Edna Kiplagat, a great marathoner, won in both 2011 and 2013, by 15 and 14 seconds. Then in London, she was involved in practically a dead heat for 2nd, with Amy Cragg, 4th place just another 3 back.

So, there have been quite a few good RACES, not many of what we consider fast times, often due to the warm-weather sites where many of these have been held.

There are going to be some very good Kenyan, Ethiopian and Ugandan runners in Doha; it will be interesting to see what the weather is like from midnight to 2:30 AM!

You are excused from watching it, Conor! >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Bodega Bay, CA, USA
    Yes, I always enjoy the WCh marathons - they're proper races (non-paced) for a start and I always enjoy watching the athletes at the front from various "less-fashionable" nations who wouldn't last 10 minutes at the front in a paced major marathon.

Just been looking at the Ethiopian & Kenyan women's teams for the marathon and they are indeed very strong. Ethiopia are taking 3 top-class women - Ruti Aga, Worknesh Degefa and Shure Demise. Whilst Kenya will pick 3 from Ruth Chepngetich, Sally Chepyego, Visiline Jepkesho & Edna Kiplagat. I don't know if Bahrain's Rose Chelimo will be defending her title?
    The depth will drop off after that though - e.g., none of the best Aussies or Americans will be there. Roberta Groner is the fastest of those 5 at 2:29.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Just because they are exciting doesn't imply they mean much these days especially Championship marathons that don't pay that much .. .besides Berlin and Chicago...the best marathoner in the world will be in London.....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-08-2019 at 10:27 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Hi, thanks all for answering my post, some good points on the marathon i thought. not meaning to bring this up again but i did not get answer and if that was deliberate sorry for me not taking a hint.

but is there any news on the Briana Williams hearing at all?

Regards..

10. Collapse Details

with the Berlin marathon taking place during the worlds in Doha does this mean that the Doha fields for the marathons will be weaker?
    Berlin itself isn't a problem. It's always been too close to major championships for anyone to do both. But the timing of this year's WC means that it's virtually impossible to do both WC and any fall marathon (Chicago, New York, Amsterdam etc.) That can result in more top runners missing Doha.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...