Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Nah. Leave well enough alone.

2. Collapse Details

If you want more WR attempts when the jumpers are fresh, give everybody a free shot at 1 cm above the world record at the beginning of the competition, if they choose to attempt it.

If they miss, it doesn't count towards their 3 misses; if they make it, it counts as a made height in the competition. After everybody has passed on that jump or attempted it, the progression starts at a lower height and works its way up as per the usual rules. Those who made the starting record height don't have to jump again until and unless the progression reaches back up to that record height.

If the competition is U18, U20, high school, or masters, set the bar at 1 cm above the record for their category.

To avoid the time-wasting and injuries incurred by jumpers who are obviously far from ready for a record height (especially junior & college athletes who are vulnerable to being pushed to attempt it by stubborn stupid coaches), require that the jumpers attempting the starting record height must have previously cleared within 10 cm of the record for high jump, or 20 cm for the pole vault, within the past 18 months.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    There's no will-the-bar-fall watching in any other field event and folks still like those events for some reason. Would you rather watch Mondo take six shots at the WR every time out or watch him waste tons of energy getting anywhere near the neighborhood?
    I'd rather watch a great chess match as Mondo and Sam and whomever else play the passing game and the lead changes hands.

4. Collapse Details

The tech exists but has not been applied to the HJ/PV. Put in an order with whoever's doing the electronic distance measuring for other field events - they'll build you one.
    I'm no engineer, but I thought the technology used in the other field events still involve an official placing a marking point at the distance achieved.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I'd rather watch a great chess match as Mondo and Sam and whomever else play the passing game and the lead changes hands.
    Well if you like chess matches you might want to go to a chess tournament instead. Or if you like chess in track so much, why not change the other field events to be more PV/HJ chess-like. In the SP, for instance, start everyone (pro meet) shooting at a line 65 feet out, give everyone three shots, then add six inches, until your late-event chess match plays out.

And from an athlete's perspective, when I was one I wanted a PR on every attempt. For HJ/PVers there's a lot of attempts taken each meet before you get a chance at a PR. I say go for a PR every time . . .

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    I'm no engineer, but I thought the technology used in the other field events still involve an official placing a marking point at the distance achieved.
    Not necessarily. I believe some EDM systems don't require that, particularly in the horizontal jumps. They do, however, require that the operator of the system determine the correct point.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Actually, at least in LJ and TJ, they now have the technology to measure attempts without putting markers in the sand.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Well if you like chess matches you might want to go to a chess tournament instead. Or if you like chess in track so much, why not change the other field events to be more PV/HJ chess-like. In the SP, for instance, start everyone (pro meet) shooting at a line 65 feet out, give everyone three shots, then add six inches, until your late-event chess match plays out. . . .
    I have suggested just such a thing in my column! I'm all for it.

9. Collapse Details

The building tension over 1 or 2 hours as the heights progress, the clutch clearances at the 3rd attempt, the wobbling bars (will it, won't it?) ... these are what make vertical jumps great to watch.

No need to change them. They're fine as they are. And there's certainly no need for laser beam bars. Having to clear an actual solid bar is all part of the skill involved.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    The building tension over 1 or 2 hours as the heights progress, the clutch clearances at the 3rd attempt, the wobbling bars (will it, won't it?) ... these are what make vertical jumps great to watch.
    My tweak to HJ/PV would be to have much more aggressive bar increases in order to get rid of the riff-raff! PV should be 15cm till only 4 or so are left. Then 10cm. 5cm increases are for wussies!