Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    And while were looking at field events, in the horizontal jumps count all of the distance between the first foot plant and the pit entry. If the jumper misses the takeoff board by a foot it doesn't matter; they get the foot. In fact get rid of the takeoff board. All aiming for the board does is force athletes to focus on something besides the length of the jump, causing choppy steps and shorter jumps. After all, the goal is to see how long you can jump. All those constraints reduces overall length.
    Horrible idea. Jumping from a specific spot isn't an artificial constraint; it's an inherent aspect of any real-world jumping scenario.

    Suppose you have 24-foot long jumping ability, and you need to jump over a ditch or creek or canyon that's 23 feet wide. If you take off more than 1 foot before the edge, you'll fall in at the far end. If you plant your takeoff foot beyond the edge, you'll fall in at the near end. Your jumping ability isn't of much use unless you also can plant your takeoff foot close enough to the optimum takeoff spot without going beyond it.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Horrible idea. Jumping from a specific spot isn't an artificial constraint; it's an inherent aspect of any real-world jumping scenario.

    Suppose you have 24-foot long jumping ability, and you need to jump over a ditch or creek or canyon that's 23 feet wide. If you take off more than 1 foot before the edge, you'll fall in at the far end. If you plant your takeoff foot beyond the edge, you'll fall in at the near end. Your jumping ability isn't of much use unless you also can plant your takeoff foot close enough to the optimum takeoff spot without going beyond it.
    Suppose you and your friends are trying to see who can jump farthest (a real world long jump competition). One of you marks the takeoff point and another the landing. The winner is the one with the absolute farthest distance.

    Today we have the technology to mark the takeoff and landing very accurately to get an actual jump distance. Since the goal is to see who can jump the longest, lets use the technology.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,691
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Today we have the technology to mark the takeoff and landing very accurately to get an actual jump distance. Since the goal is to see who can jump the longest, lets use the technology.
    Y'all can go start that event elsewhere and see how it goes. The rest of us will keep it a contest of accuracy AND distance.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Y'all can go start that event elsewhere and see how it goes. The rest of us will keep it a contest of accuracy AND distance.
    Was the goal of the takeoff board/line really designed to have as a test of accuracy as part of the event, or was that just the best way they had of fairly and consistently getting a measurement; the best tech of the time?
    Last edited by steve; 09-08-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Y'all can go start that event elsewhere and see how it goes. The rest of us will keep it a contest of accuracy AND distance.
    It's called the Long Jump, not the Accurate Jump . . .
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,707
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Was the goal of the takeoff board/line really designed to have as a test of accuracy as part of the event, or was that just the best way they had of fairly and consistently getting a measurement; the best tech of the time?
    I think that is it. For 80 years as competitor and official, I have wished for a system to accurately measure actual jumps.. we have it now but I cannot order implementation. I still inwardly groan when I have to throw a red flag or jumper takes off meter from the foul line on a prodigious jump.
    I agree, it should be the broad/long jump not the accuracy/luck jump.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,691
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I agree, it should be the broad/long jump not the accuracy/luck jump.
    Ha! Y'all are gonna stay mighty frustrated, cuz I don't see anyone rushing out to change it!

    Just to be clear, if there were a 'take-off-zone', which had a high tech mat that could capture the front tip of the shoe and measure to the closest mark in the sand (or preferably, a discrete landing material (soft foam?), I'd be OK with that.
    Last edited by Atticus; 09-08-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #38
    If you wanted to have a light beam as a bar, you’d need to have an aerosol (like a fog machine) for the light to scatter off of to be able to see the beam. In the daytime it would still be pretty hard to see.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #39
    Quote Originally Posted by acquiredtaste7 View Post
    If you wanted to have a light beam as a bar, you’d need to have an aerosol (like a fog machine) for the light to scatter off of to be able to see the beam. In the daytime it would still be pretty hard to see.
    No bar clearing in the long jump though.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Ha! Y'all are gonna stay mighty frustrated, cuz I don't see anyone rushing out to change it!
    True, because high tech is not feasible at 99% of venues.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •