Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A Modest Proposal . . .
    Field events can be split into two categories - those that shoot for a preset distance (PV and HJ) and those in which athletes can go for a record (PR, CR, NR, WR) on every effort. From a spectator standpoint I much prefer the second group.

The men's PV, for instance: I'd much prefer to see Mondo shoot for a WR every time he's on the runway, instead of taking shots and wasting energy at the 5.5m range - shoot for a WR on every single effort.

Like the rest of the field events, six attempts max with a cull of the herd after three. No moving standards or placing bars just let electronic eyes determine the lowest height that 100% of the body clears. And have the electronics create a crossbar of light that can be set at the vaulter's requested height to give them a target.

It would make the event more exciting and probably cut down on overall attempts, so less time needed.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I agree with cutting down on the number of attempts....but not so sure about the light beam thing....there is something to actually crossing a bar that high that has an appeal that just flying through the air doesn't.

3. Collapse Details

bad hammy--what can you tell us about the cost and availability of those "electronic eyes"?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    It would make the event more exciting and probably cut down on overall attempts, so less time needed.
    By no means more exiting in my view. What is exciting is how the bar goes higher and higher and also seeing an actual bar stay or fall.

5. Collapse Details

I agree about the visual element to the vertical jumps. It's not just the staying or falling of the bar. There's no way in the world that a live spectator would have any idea how high a jump is with the naked eye.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    bad hammy--what can you tell us about the cost and availability of those "electronic eyes"?
    The tech exists but has not been applied to the HJ/PV. Put in an order with whoever's doing the electronic distance measuring for other field events - they'll build you one.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I agree about the visual element to the vertical jumps. It's not just the staying or falling of the bar. There's no way in the world that a live spectator would have any idea how high a jump is with the naked eye.
    That's what the electronic light crossbar is for - everyone sees it and the athlete either clears it or not. Make the crossbar yellow before the attempt, then change to red for a miss or green for a clearance.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    having a crossbar that can't be jiggled (it's either over or not) would suppress heights cleared. To say nothing of removing one of the great thrills of watching a vertical when a bar is set to bouncing.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    That's what the electronic light crossbar is for - everyone sees it and the athlete either clears it or not. Make the crossbar yellow before the attempt, then change to red for a miss or green for a clearance.
    Oh, ok. I was focusing on the electric eye, not the light. Still, I agree with those who say that the visual element of the physical bar staying up, maybe shaking when touched, or falling is better than the "light crossbar". Also, I wonder how visible the light crossbar will be in the sunlight.

10. Collapse Details

There's no will-the-bar-fall watching in any other field event and folks still like those events for some reason. Would you rather watch Mondo take six shots at the WR every time out or watch him waste tons of energy getting anywhere near the neighborhood?