Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Caster Semenya, footballer
    Caster Semenya announced today that she has been signed by JVW women's Football Club for the 2020 season.

One assumes this is effectively her retirement from athletics and she starts a new journey in a new sport. Let's hope she finds some happiness.

2. Collapse Details

I honestly want to see her contest the indoor 3k and outdoor 5k

3. Collapse Details

I'm sure her soccer career will be as brilliant as Bolt's.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Better prospects than Bolt. Semenya was an avid soccer player before specializing on the track, and has advantages over the competition in a way that Bolt didn't have.

The outstanding question is whether FIFA will allow Semenya to play on the South African women's team in the Olympics or World Cup (if SA qualifies for the next iteration of either).

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The women's standard is far below that of the men....Semenya will probably do alright....whether there is much money to be made is something else....the women's pro leagues don't have a great history.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-06-2019 at 05:45 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    I honestly dont know why Semenya didnt just take the testosterone suppressants. She was so far superior to the non-intersex 800 runners - and keeping in mind she could still have more than twice the normal maximum female level of testosterone in her system - it's hard to imagine she still wouldnt still have an excellent chance to continue to dominate. Her world and Olympic golds in 2011-2012 while being "regulated" Exhibits A & B.
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I honestly dont know why Semenya didnt just take the testosterone suppressants. ...
    she says she did, and they made her sick

https://thinkprogress.org/caster-sem...-08813d7c57a7/

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I honestly dont know why Semenya didnt just take the testosterone suppressants. She was so far superior to the non-intersex 800 runners - and keeping in mind she could still have more than twice the normal maximum female level of testosterone in her system - it's hard to imagine she still wouldnt still have an excellent chance to continue to dominate. Her world and Olympic golds in 2011-2012 while being "regulated" Exhibits A & B.
    Semenya had many losses on the circuit in 2011-2015, didn't break 2 minutes in 2014, and didn't make it past the semifinals in Beijing 2015. And that was when the testosterone cutoff was 10 nmol/L. The new regulations have cut that limit in half.

Winning a global championship may have still been possible for Semenya with the t-suppressing medication, but would be far from guaranteed, and there would surely be some losses along the way. The days of dominance would be over with those meds.

9. Collapse Details

Semenya is following in the footsteps of Maria Mutola. After more than 20 years of 800m running she became captain of her National Football team, leading them at the All-African Games in 2011

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Semenya had many losses on the circuit in 2011-2015, didn't break 2 minutes in 2014, and didn't make it past the semifinals in Beijing 2015. And that was when the testosterone cutoff was 10 nmol/L. The new regulations have cut that limit in half.

Winning a global championship may have still been possible for Semenya with the t-suppressing medication, but would be far from guaranteed, and there would surely be some losses along the way. The days of dominance would be over with those meds.
    I think the thought of being an also-ran is worse than the meds.