Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    In The Shadow ...
    Happy birthday today (Thursday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday 60 years ago this day and won the Olympic gold medal on a Sunday about 20 days after turning 29.

Our birthday champion competed in one Olympic Games, but made history at those Games.

You may already know that this athlete lives less than 150 miles from the Track & Field News headquarters.

Now is the time to name our birthday athlete for this first Thursday in September.

2. Collapse Details

I'm assuming it's an American who won an event involving the hurdles in 1988. The only three of those, I think, were Andre Phillips, Roger Kingdom, and JJK. The latter two competed in more than one Olympics, for sure. So it's gotta be Phillips.

3. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today to Andre Phillips. Nice going, tandfman. Andre turns 60 today and most of you know he ran in the shadow (most of his career) of Edwin Moses. When Phillips won the 1988 400 hurdles, he prevented Moses from winning his third Olympic gold medal.

4. Collapse Details

To me, a bigger shocker was in '84 when he failed to qualify for the team in the Trials.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details

He may not mention this and would certainly not use it as an excuse, however Andre ran the Olympic Trials final with a cold and "died" at the 7th hurdle. He still took fourth place in that final.