Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: HS Reunion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Interesting that it goes both ways. At my 10th year reunion I remember there was a woman there who had not been thought of in high school as one of the "pretty girls" at all. At the 10th reunion, however, she looked like a super-model. She had had "some work done" as they say, but the transformation was amazing.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Best aspect of my 50th was that nearly all the spouses decided they were fed up with such gatherings and decided not to attend, so old friends didn't spend a lot of time having to introduce and try to include husbands & wives in all the esoteric bullshit memories that old classmates exchanged.
    Not true with my small high school... And, by the time you get to the 70th there are not many spouses left.. and a lot of those who show up are driven by their granddauighters

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Attended my 70th HS reunion Saturday.. Kinda bittersweet. Everybody else got old. The reunions are held every five years, not for only one class but for anyone who attended the school 1902-66 when the school closed.

Of the 23 in my 1949 graduating class, 12 are living but only 4 attended the reunion, all reasonably mobile and sentient. Patti Lou, always the feisty class clown who has made a career out of outliving wealthy Texas ranchers, accompanied by her female "get out of jail free" county judge, made the 240 mile drive from Dumas in three hours. Said she was slowed down by construction on I-40.

Oldest attendee was one of the two survivors of 40 member Class of 1939.

At our 50th reunion, 21 of 23 were alive and 19 attended. One absentee ( tee-totaler, non-smoker athlete in HS) was in rehab and the other was a newly remarried widow whose new husband was too jealous to allow her to attend.
    Remarkably, the four surviving members of 28 grads in class of 1948 were all in attendance. More remarkable, one of them, age 90 and not looking a day over 89, lives in Oregon and flew his own plane to the reunion as he has done for last thirty years. These guys were my basketball/baseball teammates in HS. One ran track with me at Okla A&M. Two now carry a cane.

All good people. The only way you could tell who got rich in the Anadarko Basin gas play was if you were in the parking lot and saw what they drove up in.

As I said, bitter sweet.
    You are old Father Lonewolf, the young(er) man said.

4. Collapse Details

I just shared an Obit of an alumni with an old school mate of mine (60 years ago). We both agreed we didn't like him much. On the other hand he was probably the best athlete in our group. He had the audacity to beat me in a championship sprint event on the Track and in the pool even though he didn't train for those events. He played Cricket!