Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: HS Reunion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My class is 1956. 46 kids in the room, 23 guys, 23 gals, 29 still alive. I did make the 50th reunion. We met in our school building, it has been redone for a language school. Here is a Google map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr....1283132?hl=en
    Last edited by Pego; 09-05-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    I ran in HS, now I jog. Well, I walk & jog.
    My knees can't handle jogging, but, oddly enough, they have no problem with sprinting (or hurdling!). I can only imagine how odd I look to anyone watching me on the track.
    What's that geeza doing? He gonna kill hisseff.

3. Collapse Details

After meniscus removal at age 50, I continued to run semi-seriously, slowly regressing from runner to biker at about age 70 and from biker to jogger after knee replacement at age 77 limited my range of motion so I could not turn crank. But, I could still run on demand. I ran my age in 440 from age 50 thru age 87 (with year off for knee replacement). This year, possibly because of hearing loss, I found I could not maintain my balance running "full speed" so the string ends.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I ran my age in 440 from age 50 thru age 87
    Amazing; truly impressive.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Any self respecting oil man that struck it rich in the Anadarko Basin drove in behind the wheel of a heavy duty truck.

Hard to imagine a 90 year old man flying anything but a kite where I come from. That is amazing.
    These folks are not oil men. They are third and fourth generation farmers who stuck it out. They drive $60,000 4WD pickups. I was probably the only "oil man" there. I drive, by choice, a 2001 Lincoln with only 134,000 trouble free miles that will keep up with the traffic in comfort.
    The nonagenarian pilot is the son of the HS bus mechanic in the 1930s-40s, who maintained a fleet of two dozen busses. He was always kind of a dashing character, one of two boys who owned motorcycles in HS.
    Which may explain how he was able to marry the 1949 class beauty. She attended the reunion in 2014, was her usual sweet self, looked 60ish, still working seasonally at Harry and David. She has since developed dementia and was unable to attend.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    1949 class beauty. She attended the reunion in 2014, was her usual sweet self, looked 60ish,
    Our class beauty was still a looker at the 50th reunion. Then, about a year later, she just dropped dead.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

Our most notable class beauty was from Class of 1947. When I saw her at 1947 table two years ago, I thought she was someone's daughter/driver. She died this spring.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    My knees can't handle jogging, but, oddly enough, they have no problem with sprinting (or hurdling!). I can only imagine how odd I look to anyone watching me on the track.
    What's that geeza doing? He gonna kill hisseff.
    I love it!!!

9. Collapse Details

I have my 50th coming up in 2021at my NJ parochial high school. My class graduated over 220 students at the peak of the baby boom generation. A number of classmates have passed away but there are even more for which the school has no contact info. The school only started in 1962, so there are only a few classes before mine.

My one classmate just retired as the School Principal and I will see a bunch of classmates at a testimonial dinner for him in November.

I do keep up with some of my high school teammates. When I was a sophomore, the team won many major meets and awards (even a prominent mention in TAFN). The team was inducted in the School HOF this spring and I got to see my teammates and coach who was very young back then and fortunately still with us.

10. Collapse Details

Best aspect of my 50th was that nearly all the spouses decided they were fed up with such gatherings and decided not to attend, so old friends didn't spend a lot of time having to introduce and try to include husbands & wives in all the esoteric bullshit memories that old classmates exchanged.
    At one point all the aging, "super-cute-super-social" cheerleader types gathered for a group picture. I sent a copy of it to a half dozen absentee classmates with no names attached and challenged them to identify these girls we all had known so well.. The result: no one could ID more than 2 or 3 of the group of 15 :-)