Facts, Not Fiction

 

Thread: HS Reunion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Hybrid View

  1. Collapse Details
    HS Reunion
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,794
    Attended my 70th HS reunion Saturday.. Kinda bittersweet. Everybody else got old. The reunions are held every five years, not for only one class but for anyone who attended the school 1902-66 when the school closed.

    Of the 23 in my 1949 graduating class, 12 are living but only 4 attended the reunion, all reasonably mobile and sentient. Patti Lou, always the feisty class clown who has made a career out of outliving wealthy Texas ranchers, accompanied by her female "get out of jail free" county judge, made the 240 mile drive from Dumas in three hours. Said she was slowed down by construction on I-40.

    Oldest attendee was one of the two survivors of 40 member Class of 1939.

    At our 50th reunion, 21 of 23 were alive and 19 attended. One absentee ( tee-totaler, non-smoker athlete in HS) was in rehab and the other was a newly remarried widow whose new husband was too jealous to allow her to attend.
    Remarkably, the four surviving members of 28 grads in class of 1948 were all in attendance. More remarkable, one of them, age 90 and not looking a day over 89, lives in Oregon and flew his own plane to the reunion as he has done for last thirty years. These guys were my basketball/baseball teammates in HS. One ran track with me at Okla A&M. Two now carry a cane.

    All good people. The only way you could tell who got rich in the Anadarko Basin gas play was if you were in the parking lot and saw what they drove up in.

    As I said, bitter sweet.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-05-2019 at 05:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    My 50th HS reunion is in about 2 weeks. One of my old classmates does website design and has set up a nice website about a year ago and many of us have been on it, interacting, and getting back in touch with people we've only seen 1-2 times in 50 years. Been fun.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,959
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Attended my 70th HS reunion Saturday.. Kinda bittersweet. Everybody else got old.
    Ha! My 50th was last spring, and it's just as well that I didn't go; the photos from it feature really old people I don't recognize.
    Time's winged chariot is a rough ride!
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Of the 23 in my 1949 graduating class, 12 are living
    I think your class has defied what would have been actuarial expectations when you graduated. When you were born, the average life expectancy in the US was less than 65.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,959
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I think your class has defied what would have been actuarial expectations when you graduated. When you were born, the average life expectancy in the US was less than 65.
    Okie livin' toughens ya up. Lonewolf still has plenty'o'tread left on them tahrs.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,993
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Patti Lou, always the feisty class clown who has made a career out of outliving wealthy Texas ranchers, accompanied by her female "get out of jail free" county judge, made the 240 mile drive from Dumas in three hours. Said she was slowed down by construction on I-40.

    Oldest attendee was one of the two survivors of 40 member Class of 1939.


    More remarkable, one of them, age 90 and not looking a day over 89, lives in Oregon and flew his own plane to the reunion as he has done for last thirty years.


    All good people. The only way you could tell who got rich in the Anadarko Basin gas play was if you were in the parking lot and saw what they drove up in.
    Any self respecting oil man that struck it rich in the Anadarko Basin drove in behind the wheel of a heavy duty truck.

    Hard to imagine a 90 year old man flying anything but a kite where I come from. That is amazing.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,794
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Any self respecting oil man that struck it rich in the Anadarko Basin drove in behind the wheel of a heavy duty truck.

    Hard to imagine a 90 year old man flying anything but a kite where I come from. That is amazing.
    These folks are not oil men. They are third and fourth generation farmers who stuck it out. They drive $60,000 4WD pickups. I was probably the only "oil man" there. I drive, by choice, a 2001 Lincoln with only 134,000 trouble free miles that will keep up with the traffic in comfort.
    The nonagenarian pilot is the son of the HS bus mechanic in the 1930s-40s, who maintained a fleet of two dozen busses. He was always kind of a dashing character, one of two boys who owned motorcycles in HS.
    Which may explain how he was able to marry the 1949 class beauty. She attended the reunion in 2014, was her usual sweet self, looked 60ish, still working seasonally at Harry and David. She has since developed dementia and was unable to attend.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,634
    My 40th is next year. 10, 20, and 30 were fun. I do recall, at our 10th, one of the rednecks in our class (who was actually an OK guy), wearing an AC/DC concert t-shirt to a khakis and polo shirt kind of happy hour, asking me, "Are you still joggin'?" And I was a little offended since I was a RUNNER in HS, and was still damn fit. But now, if he were to come next year and ask me the same, I'd have to admit, yes, I'm joggin'.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    6,993
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    My 40th is next year. 10, 20, and 30 were fun. I do recall, at our 10th, one of the rednecks in our class (who was actually an OK guy), wearing an AC/DC concert t-shirt to a khakis and polo shirt kind of happy hour, asking me, "Are you still joggin'?" And I was a little offended since I was a RUNNER in HS, and was still damn fit. But now, if he were to come next year and ask me the same, I'd have to admit, yes, I'm joggin'.
    If you are still jogging at your 40th reunion instead of walking Id consider that a great accomplishment! As for me, my girlfriend runs, I jog.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,634
    I feel pretty good about it. lonewolf, you've been to all the county courthouses in the country. Now you could start touring 30th and 40th reunions everywhere, showing them what health and fitness can look like at their 70th if they try.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •