Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: HS Reunion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HS Reunion
    Attended my 70th HS reunion Saturday.. Kinda bittersweet. Everybody else got old. The reunions are held every five years, not for only one class but for anyone who attended the school 1902-66 when the school closed.

Of the 23 in my 1949 graduating class, 12 are living but only 4 attended the reunion, all reasonably mobile and sentient. Patti Lou, always the feisty class clown who has made a career out of outliving wealthy Texas ranchers, accompanied by her female "get out of jail free" county judge, made the 240 mile drive from Dumas in three hours. Said she was slowed down by construction on I-40.

Oldest attendee was one of the two survivors of 40 member Class of 1939.

At our 50th reunion, 21 of 23 were alive and 19 attended. One absentee ( tee-totaler, non-smoker athlete in HS) was in rehab and the other was a newly remarried widow whose new husband was too jealous to allow her to attend.
    Remarkably, the four surviving members of 28 grads in class of 1948 were all in attendance. More remarkable, one of them, age 90 and not looking a day over 89, lives in Oregon and flew his own plane to the reunion as he has done for last thirty years. These guys were my basketball/baseball teammates in HS. One ran track with me at Okla A&M. Two now carry a cane.

All good people. The only way you could tell who got rich in the Anadarko Basin gas play was if you were in the parking lot and saw what they drove up in.

As I said, bitter sweet.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-05-2019 at 05:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details

My 50th HS reunion is in about 2 weeks. One of my old classmates does website design and has set up a nice website about a year ago and many of us have been on it, interacting, and getting back in touch with people we've only seen 1-2 times in 50 years. Been fun.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Attended my 70th HS reunion Saturday.. Kinda bittersweet. Everybody else got old.
    Ha! My 50th was last spring, and it's just as well that I didn't go; the photos from it feature really old people I don't recognize.
    Time's winged chariot is a rough ride!

4. Collapse Details

Of the 23 in my 1949 graduating class, 12 are living
    I think your class has defied what would have been actuarial expectations when you graduated. When you were born, the average life expectancy in the US was less than 65.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I think your class has defied what would have been actuarial expectations when you graduated. When you were born, the average life expectancy in the US was less than 65.
    Okie livin' toughens ya up. Lonewolf still has plenty'o'tread left on them tahrs.

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Patti Lou, always the feisty class clown who has made a career out of outliving wealthy Texas ranchers, accompanied by her female "get out of jail free" county judge, made the 240 mile drive from Dumas in three hours. Said she was slowed down by construction on I-40.

Oldest attendee was one of the two survivors of 40 member Class of 1939.

More remarkable, one of them, age 90 and not looking a day over 89, lives in Oregon and flew his own plane to the reunion as he has done for last thirty years.

All good people. The only way you could tell who got rich in the Anadarko Basin gas play was if you were in the parking lot and saw what they drove up in.
    Any self respecting oil man that struck it rich in the Anadarko Basin drove in behind the wheel of a heavy duty truck.

Hard to imagine a 90 year old man flying anything but a kite where I come from. That is amazing.

7. Collapse Details

My 40th is next year. 10, 20, and 30 were fun. I do recall, at our 10th, one of the rednecks in our class (who was actually an OK guy), wearing an AC/DC concert t-shirt to a khakis and polo shirt kind of happy hour, asking me, "Are you still joggin'?" And I was a little offended since I was a RUNNER in HS, and was still damn fit. But now, if he were to come next year and ask me the same, I'd have to admit, yes, I'm joggin'.

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    My 40th is next year. 10, 20, and 30 were fun. I do recall, at our 10th, one of the rednecks in our class (who was actually an OK guy), wearing an AC/DC concert t-shirt to a khakis and polo shirt kind of happy hour, asking me, "Are you still joggin'?" And I was a little offended since I was a RUNNER in HS, and was still damn fit. But now, if he were to come next year and ask me the same, I'd have to admit, yes, I'm joggin'.
    If you are still jogging at your 40th reunion instead of walking Id consider that a great accomplishment! As for me, my girlfriend runs, I jog.

9. Collapse Details

I feel pretty good about it. lonewolf, you've been to all the county courthouses in the country. Now you could start touring 30th and 40th reunions everywhere, showing them what health and fitness can look like at their 70th if they try.

10. Collapse Details

Awesome reminiscing! I made our 10th, 20th, and 40th (in 2012) ... the 40th was the best by far. lonewolf is right, they all went and got old!(Me too.) DrJay said it well, I ran in HS, now I jog. Well, I walk & jog. In my mind, I am neck and neck with Pre & Shorter coming down the last homestretch of a glorious cross-country course. But then I come back to reality.

Looking forward to the 50th!