Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    IAAF Redefining Fouls in Horizontal Jumps
    IAAF Council approved amendments 9 June to the Competition Rules, in effect 1 November. The amendments are here:

https://www.iaaf.org/download/downlo...ovember%202019

Amendments to Rules 184 and 185 fundamentally redefine what is a foul. Currently the jumper, while taking off, has to contact the ground beyond the takeoff line to commit a foul. Under the new rule, breaking the plane at the takeoff line with the foot or shoe while taking off will be a foul. To that end, the cross-section of the plasticine will be a square, not a triangle, and stick up 7 mm at the takeoff line.

Any thoughts on this change?
    Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    IAAF Council approved amendments 9 June to the Competition Rules, in effect 1 November. The amendments are here:

https://www.iaaf.org/download/downlo...ovember%202019

Amendments to Rules 184 and 185 fundamentally redefine what is a foul. Currently the jumper, while taking off, has to contact the ground beyond the takeoff line to commit a foul. Under the new rule, breaking the plane at the takeoff line with the foot or shoe while taking off will be a foul. To that end, the cross-section of the plasticine will be a square, not a triangle, and stick up 7 mm at the takeoff line.

Any thoughts on this change?
    Won't people trip on it?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Collapse Details

Makes sense to me. If I understand the current rule, your shoe tip can clearly be over the vertical plane of the line, but if the plasticene is untouched, it is NOT a foul. I think this is wrong. Over the line is over the line. Good rule change.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Won't people trip on it?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Exactly what I was thinking. It's only a quarter of an inch (and soft plasticene), but why do that? Let the official do his/her job and back it up with the Eagle-Eye camera in big meets (already done at NCAAs).
    Last edited by Atticus; 09-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Won't that be a lot harder to enforce?

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Makes sense to me. If I understand the current rule, your shoe tip can clearly be over the vertical plane of the line, but if the plasticene is untouched, it is NOT a foul. I think this is wrong. Over the line is over the line. Good rule change.
    Im going to agree with you for the even simpler reason, that long before plasticene was invented long jump judges were marking fouls by eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. It's only a quarter of an inch (and soft plasticene), but why do that? Let the official do his/her job and back it up with the Eagle-Eye camera in big meets (already done at NCAAs).
    exactly.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BCBaroo View Post
    Won't that be a lot harder to enforce?
    I assume that at major meets, it will be enforced by technology of some sort. That could make it easy to enforce (although perhaps not as easy as enforcing a rule that defines the violation as touching and then provides a plasticene board that assures that a violation will leave evidence that is visible after the fact).

8. Collapse Details

One benefit of eliminating the plasticine board is that it would also eliminate the time-consuming task of smoothing and replacing the boards.

9. Collapse Details

You'd think in this age a computer could make the determination.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    You'd think in this age a computer could make the determination.
    I would indeed.