Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Foul

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Foul
    Happy birthday today (Tuesday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Friday 65 years ago and won the Olympic gold medal on a Friday some 40 days before turning 26 years old.

Of course you can forget the hurdles when wondering about this champion's Olympic event.

This Olympic gold medal was rather "historic" when discussing Olympic gold medals.

Go ahead and name this Olympic champion with a birthday on this first Tuesday of September.

2. Collapse Details

Rather few clues. Born 1954, won in Moscow. Do we have more? "Foul" might perhaps refer to several triple jumps that were controversially jugded foul, or to one controversial javelin throw (by Dainis Kula). My guess: the triple jump champion Jaak Uudmäe.

3. Collapse Details

I'm sure Olli is right - Kula was born in 1959, while 3-Sep-54 is the dob of Uudmae - de Oliveira may have jumped further that day, and Ian Campbell most certainly did

4. Collapse Details

"Foul" might also refer to Yuiry Syedikh, who had one of his 1980 foot fouls marked fair. The overhead camera showed his foot halfway across the line after release.

Syedikh was winning anyway, so it's not as if the foul benefitted anyone else.

5. Collapse Details

Happy 65th birthday today to Jaak Uudmae. Very well done, Olli. When Uudmae won the triple jump gold medal in Moscow (1980), he prevented Viktor Saneyev from winning his fourth consecutive gold medal in the Olympic triple jump. Olli and rhymans are correct. There was more than a little controversy in Moscow over the men's triple jump final.

6. Collapse Details

PV was hot as well, Kozakiewicz showing the audience what he thought of them.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    PV was hot as well, Kozakiewicz showing the audience what he thought of them.
    His response to the crowd was epic!

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy 65th birthday today to Jaak Uudmae. Very well done, Olli. When Uudmae won the triple jump gold medal in Moscow (1980), he prevented Viktor Saneyev from winning his fourth consecutive gold medal in the Olympic triple jump. Olli and rhymans are correct. There was more than a little controversy in Moscow over the men's triple jump final.
    I have heard that a certain Aussie was robbed but I have never seen the footage. I have seen footage of Uudmae's winning jump. He and deOlivera were beautiful jumpers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziI1ljIhC3E

The video of old man time jump on Saneyev's back was painful to watch.
    Last edited by user4; 09-03-2019 at 10:10 PM.

9. Collapse Details

I'm not sure if you can pick this link up - if so, then you can see Campbell's jump

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn2u0f38pr...%20on.mp4?dl=0

10. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymans View Post
    I'm not sure if you can pick this link up - if so, then you can see Campbell's jump

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn2u0f38pr...%20on.mp4?dl=0
    Wow. What a jump, that last phase was breathtaking. He clearly did not scrap his foot but if he could do that while scrapping his trailing leg then it was an even more fantastic jump. I have a great respect for Campbell now, what a graceful jumper. I put triple jumpers up there with hurdlers and pole vaulters and decathletes, the very best athletes in the world.

The "officials" got Campbell for 5 fouls out of 6 jumps. Either he was robbed more than once or he really rolled the dice on all of his jumps. Might have been a little bit of both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...7s_triple_jump

So Campbell jumps 17.02 on his first qualifying jump, the best jump of the day and then sits and waits for the final. Then in the finals he has 5 of his 6 jumps ruled as fouls. How often does that happen. How often has the leading qualifier in an OG TJ finished 5th in the final ?
    Last edited by user4; 09-07-2019 at 04:56 PM.