Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Foul

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Props to Uudmae for setting a PB in the pressure of a "home" Olympics, and beating legend Victor Saneyev, but Campbell was robbed.

2. Collapse Details

What year was the "trail leg" rule rescinded?
    Last edited by dj; 09-04-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Sorry, I meant to post a comment, not add it direcetly

3. Collapse Details

I'm quite certain the rule was changed within two years, perhaps the very next year.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Props to Uudmae for setting a PB in the pressure of a "home" Olympics, and beating legend Victor Saneyev, but Campbell was robbed.
    I had a few beers with Saneyev in Sydney in '96 (yes, '96) and he insisted he was robbed too. Never quite understood zackly what his gripe was, but he claimed the federation had something against him.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Wow. What a jump, that last phase was breathtaking. He clearly did not scrap his foot but if he could do that while scrapping his trailing leg then it was an even more fantastic jump. I have a great respect for Campbell now, what a graceful jumper. I put triple jumpers up there with hurdlers and pole vaulters and decathletes, the very best athletes in the world.

The "officials" got Campbell for 5 fouls out of 6 jumps. Either he was robbed more than once or he really rolled the dice on all of his jumps. Might have been a little bit of both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...7s_triple_jump

So Campbell jumps 17.02 on his first qualifying jump, the best jump of the day and then sits and waits for the final. Only to have 5 of his 6 jumps ruled as fouls. How often has the leading qualifier in an OG TJ finished 5th in the final ?
    In Mexico City, Gentile was the leading qualifier, with a WR, beating Schmidt's WR which had stood since 1960. In the finals, he led off with another WR, only to finish with a bronze medal, behind Saneyev and Prudencio.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rhymans View Post
    I'm not sure if you can pick this link up - if so, then you can see Campbell's jump

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn2u0f38pr...%20on.mp4?dl=0
    That's a terrific jump, with no evidence of scraping the trailing foot, as he goes from the second to the third phase.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    How often has the leading qualifier in an OG TJ finished 5th in the final ?
    Here are the Olympic triple jumpers who led qualifying but did not win gold in the final:

year gender given_name surname noc medal place
    1992 M Pierre Camara FRA 11
    1956 M Teruji Kogake JPN 8
    1980 M Ian Campbell AUS 5
    2000 M Larry Achike GBR 5
    1964 M Fred Alsop GBR 4
    1968 M Giuseppe Gentile ITA Bronze 3
    1976 M João Carlos de Oliveira BRA Bronze 3
    1924 M Luis Brunetto ARG Silver 2
    1948 M George Avery AUS Silver 2
    1984 M Mike Conley USA Silver 2
    1988 M Igor Lapshin URS Silver 2
    2008 M Phillips Idowu GBR Silver 2
    2008 F Yargelis Savigne CUB Bronze 3
    1996 F Inna Lasovskaya RUS Silver 2
    2000 F Tatyana Lebedeva RUS Silver 2
    2004 F Pigi Devetzi GRE Silver 2

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I had a few beers with Saneyev in Sydney in '96 (yes, '96) and he insisted he was robbed too. Never quite understood zackly what his gripe was, but he claimed the federation had something against him.
    He is definitely on the short list of T&F legends I would love to have a long beer with.

9. Collapse Details

I remember officiating in the1970s when the trail leg rule (which never made any sense) was in effect but could not remember when it was dropped.
    Like the old "get of the pit before the bar falls off" rule, you still hear it cited.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Sounds strange. What I have heard being told is that the federation wanted Saneyev to win his fourth gold, and Uudmäe's win was kind of an accident. I even remember reading rumors that Uudmäe fell into disfavor under the Soviet regime for daring to beat Saneyev. Well, I read those rumors in a Finnish right-wing journal, and they may have been unfounded.