Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Hybrid View

  1. Collapse Details
    Linda Ronstadt in The New Yorker
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,708
    Interesting, but somewhat sad interview...

    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...term=TNY_Daily
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Interesting, but somewhat sad
    But also very uplifting, given all the joy she brought so many people. We should look at artists like her for what they did give us, rather than what we think she lost. When athletes are still in their late-30s and have to retire, we don't mourn the loss of their abilities; we treasure their time in the sun.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the centre
    Posts
    291
    What kind of music do you listen to?

    I love opera. It’s so terrible—I listen to it on YouTube. I’m an audiophile, but I’ve just gotten used to the convenience of being able to hear twenty-nine different performances of one role.
    It reminded me of her singing »La Bohème« in a small production in NY in the 80's. Not many artists in the pop industry - I can't think of any other - could have done that!
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    But also very uplifting, given all the joy she brought so many people. We should look at artists like her for what they did give us, rather than what we think she lost. When athletes are still in their late-30s and have to retire, we don't mourn the loss of their abilities; we treasure their time in the sun.
    Indeed....it's a lovely interview...I always liked her starting with Different Drum. ......the award incident with Dolly Parton was rather humorous...
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    956
    She made great music throughout her career, including terrific covers of Mexican classics.
    Here in her powerful prime:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNAN-JoMabM
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Her voice is a rare and exceptional instrument. Most of what passes for "singer" would be better off not listened to beside Ronstadt.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Her voice is a rare and exceptional instrument. Most of what passes for "singer" would be better off not listened to beside Ronstadt.
    Well said. That woman had some pipes.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,112
    Her 'pop' songs weren't in my wheelhouse, but even I had to understand what a great singer she was . . .

    I Fall To Pieces
    When Will I Be Loved
    Blue Bayou (!!!)

    and this one, which does get to me

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoitbfaVjH0
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    and this one, which does get to me

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoitbfaVjH0
    I like this version better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZPPBJC8Ic (and she looks much cooler as well)
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I like this version better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZPPBJC8Ic (and she looks much cooler as well)
    Agreed - but too much focus on the back-up singers.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •