Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    my bad..... the topic is nonetheless off limits
    Genuine curiosity because sometimes I miss nuance: why? Is it because, until proven (or not), it's a "let sleeping dogs lie" type of thing?

I think she'd add major juice to the 400 and give She Who Was Born to Sprint the little extra oomph to hit truly rarefied air - 48mid or under
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

I think she'd add major juice to the 400
    Indeed. Careful what you wish for.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Genuine curiosity because sometimes I miss nuance: why? Is it because, until proven (or not), it's a "let sleeping dogs lie" type of thing?
    You heard him, don't argue the point! In time, the facts and circumstances will tell the story one way or another.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    In time, the facts and circumstances will tell the story one way or another.
    In less than 40 days we should be out of this wilderness.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I personally don't think Seyni is completely done, but I DO think she will not even make it out of the semis in Doha. Her performance is such an outlier compared to the consistency of SMU and Naser have shown, I don't even see how she is in the same conversation. If she does make the Doha final, I would pick the group of Jackson/Francis/Wimbley etc. to finish ahead of her.

Even Naser had Asian and World Youth titles/championship experience before her London breakthrough. Seyni has essentially no experience entering Doha. Even Tokyo, I question if she will still be a 49.xx runner then.
    I'm going to ignore the insinuations and assume Seyni is competing in the 400m until I hear otherwise.

Her PB performance is an outlier in terms of times, but as another posters writes, issues with pacing is partly accountable for that. But I think you're doing her a disservice. She is being considered not only on that remarkable 49.19, but also on her 50.24, both a step behind Naser, both run on the big Diamond League circuit. It's her proximity to Naser twice, and beating other top names in the process, that is wetting the appetite.

On top of that she has also run in Stockholm in the non DL 400 (winning by 1 sec); the Irena Szewińska Memorial - beating the top Polish runners - and the top class Rehlingen meet (winning by 1.5 secs) all this year. And in 2018 she ran at Heusden, Rovereto and at the Szczecin Wiesław Maniak Memorial, all decent size European meets. So there is experience there on the international circuit. No, it isn't a championship setting, I'll give you that, but that's why it was important she do the African Games, to get a taste for a championships, albeit on a different scale.

It'll be her run-from-behind pacing that will be her undoing, rather than inexperience per se.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    I'm going to ignore the insinuations....
    ...and keep making my own elsewhere....

7. Collapse Details

It'll be her run-from-behind pacing that will be her undoing, rather than inexperience per se.
    Assuming she does get to run in Doha, it will be her run-from-behind-pacing that may give her at least the silver and maybe the gold. She and her coach know her strength at the end, so will surely will have a race plan that gets her in contact at the 300m mark. She could be 10m down at that point and still win. Getting that close is, of course, the trick.

8. Collapse Details

Inexperience is what lies behind the run-from-behind style. They are inextricably linked.

Yes, Seyni has a handful of races on the pro circuit, but with less than 3 years competing in the sport doesn't have the 5-10 (or more) years of total training and competition experience that other sub-50 and 50-low runners had before they reached that level, hence the undeveloped sense of proper pacing.

A good coach can correct that, but I'm not aware of that coach having coached anybody else to even sub-52.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 09-02-2019 at 02:48 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Her race at the Szewińska Memorial was absolutely ridiculous. Look what she did to Justyna Święty, who is renowned for her strong finish.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Ridiculous because...what, she ran everyone down? Aye, it was remarkable. Not sure ridiculous is the fairest or nicest adjective to use though.