Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Sprint hasn't progressed in the last 30 years. 10.49 is still unreachable and in 1992 10.86 didn't get you a medal. In 2016 nine women ran sub 10.90, five sub 10.80, but you still didn't need a sub 10.80 for a medal.
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but I just wanted to add that the 92 Barcelona race might as well have been 4 under sub-10.8 considering that head wind with Torrence 10.86 (-1.0) missing out on a medal.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    The 2K record was soft as a result of being contested infrequently at the elite level, but it wouldn't be appropriate to count a 2K split within a 3K race as a 2K record, given the different start positions on the track (200m apart) and therefore different relative positioning of the water jump.
    There are 5 water jumps in a 2000 there are usually only 4 in the first 2000 of a 3000 'chase.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but I just wanted to add that the 92 Barcelona race might as well have been 4 under sub-10.8 considering that head wind with Torrence 10.86 (-1.0) missing out on a medal.
    I'm also now remembering it too sub 10.79 to make the US Olympic team in 2016.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    At ISTAF Berlin, De Grasse ran 9.97 with a nice tailwind to beat Simbine 9.99. In the w100, Swoboda ran a 11.07PR.

Full results here: https://www.istaf.de/en/0/istaf2019.html
    If Luckenkemper (sp?) would stop running to races and just one she might win more open 400s. Every time I see here start it seems like she stands up and then starts running, giving herself a huge hole to climb out of. But she can run a great relay leg! 41.67 is no mean feat cutting more than half a second off the world lead.

5. Collapse Details

I noticed a Canadian NR 19.28 in the WSP by Brittany Crew, bettering her 19.07 in Lima in August.

The Lima throw made her the first Canadian over 19m and sh has been undertaking a substantial rewriting of the NR standard since a Canadian woman first hit 18m back in 2007:

Mark Date Competitor
    18.02 26-Jul-07 Lieja KOEMAN-TUNKS
    18.21 13-May-11 Julie LABONTÉ
    18.31 11-Jun-11 "
    18.47 18-May-17 Brittany CREW
    18.58 20-May-17 "
    18.60 22-Jun-18 "
    18.61 26-Apr-19 "
    18.69 1-Jun-19 "
    19.07 9-Aug-19 "
    19.28* 1-Sep-19 "
    * Rnd 6 - also threw 19.10 in Rnd 2

Crew also dominates the 18m+ competitions:

Competitor 18m throws
    Brittany CREW 32
    Julie LABONTÉ 6
    Sarah MITTON 3
    Lieja KOEMAN-TUNKS 1
    Total 42

6. Collapse Details

Crew is now pretty close to WC medal territory. Other than Gong, there's nobody that I would be confident about to beat 19.28 in the Doha final. Nothing's for sure, but a repeat of that mark could potentially give her a medal.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    If Luckenkemper (sp?) would stop running to races and just one she might win more open 400s. Every time I see here start it seems like she stands up and then starts running, giving herself a huge hole to climb out of. But she can run a great relay leg! 41.67 is no mean feat cutting more than half a second off the world lead.
    Tatjana Pinto is the bigger threat this year. Since her move to the Rana Reider group she has improved a lot and that third leg in Berlin was insane. I'm hoping for good conditions and a sub 11 in Minsk this weekend.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Crew is now pretty close to WC medal territory. Other than Gong, there's nobody that I would be confident about to beat 19.28 in the Doha final. Nothing's for sure, but a repeat of that mark could potentially give her a medal.
    I tend to agree but have to apologise that I haven't paid any attention to this event lately, so missed her rise until now. Interestingly, she is not that tall, only 1.78 (5-10), but is a spinner rather than a glider like many women.

Here is an article with personal background from the time of Pan Ams in Lima:
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/p...crew-1.5242165

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    There IS someone else who has had five meets above that mark, though not the most consistent of throwers.

10. Collapse Details

I assume you mean Chase Ealey. Although she hasn't been so consistent, her PR in Zurich is certainly encouraging.