Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    SMU was never a thought in the eyes of the IAAF when they put the Olympic schedule together. Good to see the proactive move now and hope the IAAF will comply. A simple moving of the 400m heats from August 4th to the 5th then have the other 400 rounds move up a day would work.
    I am in agreement with EGH, the rubbish mixed relays does not help things.
    The World Swimming Championships had a rubbish coed relay this year. Teams were allowed to set their own order. I watched it and wasn't impressed. I would enjoy it more if the order was fixed.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    The World Swimming Championships had a rubbish coed relay this year. Teams were allowed to set their own order.
    They had two mixed relays although only one (the medley) will be on the Olympic programme. Though they are allowed to set their own order, in the freestyle relay this tends to mean all teams swim man-man-woman-woman. And they do this - when possible - in the medley as well.

3. Collapse Details

Besides giving no chance for a double in some related events (which I find appalling!), having basically one long, long session per day means that we are going to see a lot of empty seats. Nobody can sit in a stadium for 7 hours.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pakilo View Post
    Besides giving no chance for a double in some related events (which I find appalling!), having basically one long, long session per day means that we are going to see a lot of empty seats. Nobody can sit in a stadium for 7 hours.
    Especially without beer!

5. Collapse Details

With the IOC and/or IAAF setting limits on numbers of athletes one would think it would be in their own interest to maximize doubling possibilities.

6. Collapse Details

Nobody can sit in a stadium for 7 hours.
    Ever been to any of the big Relay (Penn, Drake, Texas, Mt. SAC) meets? We're talking ALL DAY affairs, and while not everyone stays for the whole thing, plenty do!
    Unfortunately, in this particular circumstance, there'll be lots of dead time, which the Relay festivals don't have.

7. Collapse Details

we are going to see a lot of empty seats.
    Regardless of the timetable and even if Usain Bolt announced he was returning to attempt a 100/200/400m treble here, I would expect the stadium to be near-empty most sessions.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionking View Post

When Perec attempted the double she did not yet have a title at 200m.

Valerie Brisco-Hooks??
    I think LA in '84 had a timetable that accommodated the 200/400 double without any changes.

For Atlanta I think the adjustments made for MJ were mirrored for the women which allowed M-JP to do the same double.

9. Collapse Details

I've done it at events with non-allocated seating with necessary breaks. Being 6'2" comfort can be a bit of an issue!