Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    World/Olympic Timetables Question
    With all the uproar, and rightly so, about SMU, I decided to finally ask a question that's bothered me for decades. Why doesn't the iaaf have a standard timetable for every big International championship and Olympics that they use that enables athletes to be able to do the doubles that are most common? I realize some things would be impossible but by and large it shouldn't be hard to set up the 100 200, 200 400, 400 800, 800 1500 & 5k 10k so that a person could double. Or is it more complicated than I'm making it out to be? Regardless once they find a timetable that works best why not use that in every major meet?

2. Collapse Details

I'm pretty confident most fans on this board could sit down create an accommodating schedule in a few hours. Not sure how the IAAF has not done so and stuck with it.

3. Collapse Details

Well I was playing around with it myself and although I'm not the smartest guy in the world I was able to pretty much come up with something that accommodated everything and that includes the heats but I didn't want to call the iaaf stupid.

4. Collapse Details

Broadcasting from different parts of the world/different time zones? The IAAF probably coordinates their scheduling with the network(s).

5. Collapse Details

I assume that they do so through the IOC. They're the ones who have the contract with the networks, not the IAAF.

6. Collapse Details

The hosts will also likely have a say and will want top home stars to compete on dates/ times that will maximize viewership.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I assume that they do so through the IOC. They're the ones who have the contract with the networks, not the IAAF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    The hosts will also likely have a say and will want top home stars to compete on dates/ times that will maximize viewership.
    bingo and bingo

both local desires and big-time TV demands (paraticularly at the Olympic level) have lots to do with it

to think that the schedules are concocted with the desires of the hardcore track community in mind is to be out of touch with reality (unfortunately)

8. Collapse Details

I would agree with most of these points but then I question athletes having the ability to get the schedule changed. We have seen it in the past where a schedule is already set, but then an athlete (group, team etc.) request a change and it is sometimes made. MJ in 1996, Felix in 2016. There are probably other examples, thats just off the top of my head. But my point is, if the ability for the schedule to be changed is POSSIBLE (and so close to the event), why not set it like that from the start?

9. Collapse Details

It does seem to that for the IAAF to change the schedule for you to accommodate a double you need to have already won a title in both events. I suspect SMU's chances were harmed by her lacking a worldwide senior 200 title.

10. Collapse Details

Dominant athletes bring ratings. The poster people for championships are always the ones that have multiple wins. So why wouldn't both the IAAF and the locals want to create a schedule that maximizes these opportunities? It's best for THEIR bottom lines.